What difference does it make given that it appears as though you disagree with the scientific consensus w/r/t climate change?

Very little, though I'm not sure I accept your premise about the consensus (not that it matters as the consensus has a long history of being wrong). My point was that anecdotal evidence (i.e. it was hot this summer, a glacier melted) should not be used to support a scientific theory.

Nidhi Sharma - AHN News Writer

Santiago, Chile (AHN) - Melting ice from a glacier in southern Chile has caused a glacial lake to empty suddenly, sending a sudden rush of water rolling through a river. However, no one was injured in the area.

Global warming and rising world temperatures caused water to fill the Cachet Lake and increased pressure on the ice sheet. Melting water from the Colonia glacier gradually caused a 5-mile tunnel through the glacier that emptied into the Baker River on April 6, according to The Associated Press.

The lake was nearly full again by late Wednesday.

Record high temperatures during the recent Southern Hemisphere summer caused the melting of large masses of ice, which further swelled some lakes.

In 2007, rising temperatures led to the disappearance of the Tempano Lake in Chile's Bernardo O'Higgins National Park. It has since recovered some of its former volume.

This is the thing that bothers me about the media's attitude toward climate change. Whenever there's some little anecdote that supports the idea that the planet is heating up, they attribute it to global warming. But when the opposite happens, global warming doesn't get mentioned. It's already bad enough that they are using anecdotal evidence, and the fact that they only bring attention to the cases that support their beliefs only further damages their credibility.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not more words, just factual examples of what is actually occurring.

As was my example, of course I failed to jump to the conclusion that a "winter storm" in April is somehow abnormal and caused by man.

Very little, though I'm not sure I accept your premise about the consensus (not that it matters as the consensus has a long history of being wrong). My point was that anecdotal evidence (i.e. it was hot this summer, a glacier melted) should not be used to support a scientific theory.

This is the thing that bothers me about the media's attitude toward climate change. Whenever there's some little anecdote that supports the idea that the planet is heating up, they attribute it to global warming. But when the opposite happens, global warming doesn't get mentioned. It's already bad enough that they are using anecdotal evidence, and the fact that they only bring attention to the cases that support their beliefs only further damages their credibility.

It

As was my example, of course I failed to jump to the conclusion that a "winter storm" in April is somehow abnormal and caused by man.

Here, more words regarding regional cool spots:

Global surface temperatures have increased about 0.74

So, 10" of recorded snow fall in North Dakota and Minnesota on April 10, 2008 is not scientific data, it's personal opinion?

You really are better at weather than I am. I yield.

Thought this was interesting:

"U.N. Forecasters: Global Temperatures to Decrease"

This year it's snowed in Baghdad. It's been the coldest Winter in China in over 100 years, the northern hemisphere has more snow cover than in recent years, all the ice that melted in the arctic is back. I mean you could go on and on with proof that Global Warming is NOT real, and yet these people conned by air bags like Al Gore (who buys fictitious carbon credits from HIMSELF) believe him.

This Global Warming 'crisis' is putting mercury laden bulbs in our homes, endangering our children. People that believe in it scream for reform and change, yet they don't realize they will have to pay for it.

Global Warming is a wonderful money making machine. That's all it is. The Globe warms and cools naturally, it was WARMER in the middle ages than it is now. That is FACT, and yet people are like ..cattle, mesmorized by the myth of Global Warming.

So, 10" of recorded snow fall in North Dakota and Minnesota on April 10, 2008 is not scientific data, it's personal opinion?

You really are better at weather than I am. I yield.

Weather and climate are not the same thing.

I'm just saying.

Thought this was interesting:

That was posted by some dude on Yahoo.

You can tell he's full of shit, because he is claiming Global Warming is a hoax. Even skeptics admit the planet is warming, they just don't believe it, the warming, is influenced or driven by human behavior.

It was taken from the site - globalwarminghoax.wordpress.com

I may be wrong, but I believe he was offering that as a refutation of the Maker's post about one day of high temperature being evidence of global warming.

:thumbup

That was posted by some dude on Yahoo.

You can tell he's full of shit, because he is claiming Global Warming is a hoax. Even skeptics admit the planet is warming, they just don't believe it, the warming, is influenced or driven by human behavior.

It was taken from the site - globalwarminghoax.wordpress.com

I know, and I thought I'd post because I'm the type that likes to see both sides.. That's why I haven't made up my mind about Global Warming, because there's a lot of interesting points on both sides.

Also, a radio show host has a website with an entire database of links debunking global warming..

It is virtually shoved down our throats that scientists are in complete agreement about global warming. Al Gore and the media assure us there is an absolute consensus in the scientific community that humans are heating the planet and irreversible damage is looming as a result of man's carbon output. The truth is, there is not an irrefutable consensus. How about some intellectual honesty? Reasonable debate? Or, in the least, a different explanation.

Here's the site.. Very comprehensive

I know, and I thought I'd post because I'm the type that likes to see both sides.. That's why I haven't made up my mind about Global Warming, because there's a lot of interesting points on both sides.

That

My greatest hope is that, in the end, I am in support of the wrong side of the issue, and that the skeptics will win the day. That the warming we are now experiencing is simply a natural event, a normal cycle in the life of our planet

I find it amusing that some of the staunchest proponents for the global climate crisis spend more time worrying about what others are doing and how they are living their lives rather that being proactive in their own lives. I wasn

Are people offering free rickshaw rides? If so I will sign up because as the Matrix tells us humans are the best batteries. That would stop global warming right?

My personal take on global warming is that yes the earth may be warming (what is warming cause not the whole earth is it the sea air temp atmospheric temp?) but if the situation is as dire as Al Gore and other Eco-Nazi's want us to think than the small solutions they present will not amount to any change.