I work with a guy who seems to have been a pretty big part of it, and I'm curious to know more about it and see if anyone else here knows much about it.

Strange way to start a topic, I know, but...

Rattail Grenadier and Squirtgun is all I got.

What about 'em?

Good?

Bad?

Sound like?

I work with a guy who seems to have been a pretty big part of it, and I'm curious to know more about it and see if anyone else here knows much about it.

Strange way to start a topic, I know, but...

Is he the sound guy at a bar with open mic night?

Is he the sound guy at a bar with open mic night?

Maybe.

He owned a bar down there and also a bi-weekly local music rag, in addition to being in a couple of bands, himself.

I Lived there for 4 years for school and maybe I was completely out of it but there wasn't one, some bar cover bands and whatnot. And it's not like I wasn't looking I'd drive up to chicago or down to indy for shows all the time. Though that was 2003, maybe Its gotten better?

My oldest and dearest friend has lived there for 20 years. The Lafayette Brew Pub does a pretty good job of getting some fine acts - particularly if you dig "new grass" (Cornmeal, Old Crow Medicine Show, etc.). I saw Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks there last winter and it was a great night.

If you're talking about places to play/people to jam with shoot me a PM if you'd like - I'll get Alan in touch with you, or vice-versa.