Did Against Me! have a long history of saying "We'll never sign to a major label" or did their fans assume that because they ironically named their album after Axl Rose?

I honestly don't know, and I'm not sure it would matter for me. I suppose I could understand that they "sold out," it just doesn't matter to me.

17 year old Johnny Punkface says "Man, I'm just going to live off the kindness and generosity of strangers. I'm never getting a job, fuck that, I don't want to be a part of the machine."

21 year old Johnny Punkface says "Oh shit, my idealogies 4 years ago were pretty extreme. Unless I want to die of starvation, I can't fulfill any of them. Guess I'd better get a job."

P.S. Jawbreaker is another band who sold out. Because they signed with a major label after years of publicly stating that they would never sign to a major. The album they did for Geffin, Dear You was awesome, btw.

:thumbup

like take Death Cab... i don't think they sold out by signing to Atlantic whatsoever, it's just a coincidence that their worst album to date was also their major label debut... (or so i tell myself, we'll see with Narrow Stairs...)

:thumbup good point, tubby.

like take Death Cab... i don't think they sold out by signing to Atlantic whatsoever, it's just a coincidence that their worst album to date was also their major label debut... (or so i tell myself, we'll see with Narrow Stairs...)

Uncool.

P.S. Jawbreaker is another band who sold out. Because they signed with a major label after years of publicly stating that they would never sign to a major. The album they did for Geffin, Dear You was awesome, btw.

Seriously, when Jawbreaker signed to Geffen it really, really bummed me out and I knew it would doom them. I saw them in '93 and Blake railed against majors and music being a commodity, then they launched into "Boxcar" and it was all too perfect. I too like "Dear You," but somehow can't help but think that if they hadn't signed they would've put out several more albums. Along with Leatherface, my other favorite punk band of the past 20 years.