So I just had the good fortune of picking up a used Pro Junior off of an uncle of mine who was no longer in need of it. I was definitely excited about this, and it's my first tube amp so that's doubly cool. I just got it yesterday and it sounds pretty great, but I did notice that it had some pops, crackles, etc. even when it was just sitting and idling.

So my question is, for those who know...is it just the tubes, or should I have someone take a look at it? I'm not exactly sure when the tubes were last changed out...I think probably a while ago, but it also hasn't been played for a while. I think it had a going over at a music store about a year back, but I'm not exactly sure what that entailed.

Anyway, if anybody has suggestions that would be great, I'm otherwise really happy with this little amp and I would love to get it sounding like it should so I can do some more serious playing/recording with it.

I'll give and educated guess...The place I work manages a bunch of studio guitar equipment, etc. Anyway...a knowledgeable person I work with said that it is likely the result of tubes that need to be changed. This is something you can pretty easily do yourself.

Guest Rufer

Hey there.

I have two Pro Juniors. They are fantastic amps with amazing tone and I love the lack of master volume and single tone pot. Love 'em. Love 'em

That being said, they are known for being very hissy (sometimes, hummy, or buzzy) amps. The degree to which they do buzz and hum varies greatly from amp to amp. Some people will tell you the American made ones, where they were initially manufactured, sound better than do the Mexican ones. I'm not convinced as I have one of each and the Mexican one actually has a bit lower of a noise floor. Anyway, I think it comes down to luck.

If what you're experiencing is hissing or humming, it may just be how your amp is. You may possibly improve on the noise with new tubes but maybe not. I'm more confident that buzzing would benefit from new tubes.

Eurotubes.com sells some nice JJ's as a set for the Pro Junior. If you order, they'll want to know if you want maximum headroom--maintaining clean sound as you turn up the volume or low headroom--overdriving the tubes at lower volume.

I get my distortion mostly from a pedal and I love glassy, clean, tubey goodness. If you order tubes for maximum headroom I blieve that may clean up some of the hiss.

If that is what you're hearing.

Enjoy. Pro Juniors are great amps.

Guest Rufer

I just reread your post and you actually mention pops and crackles. I guess tubes could help (the stock tubes are pretty crappy either way), but in general when tubes go bad they become microphonic and have more of a howling sound--easily and uncontrollably feedback.

If you're hearing popping, it may be something more serious. Despite the fact that Pro Juniors sound so awesome, they are rather cheaply made which is why they're relatively cheap to buy (for how awesome they are) and the differences from amp to amp.

The input jack on these amps are made out of plastic and are directly connected to the PCB. They're pretty easy to damage While the amp is on you may want to try to gently wiggle the input jack to see if it pops.

I agree, these amps should have some hum to them, but crackles and pops should not be there when sitting in idle. From my knowledge the tubes would have nothing to do with this. Could be the Rectifier, as there are solid state. How old is it, and is it under any waranty?

Does anyone have any experience with the Tonedog Pro Jr. mods? I'm considering those mods (cabinet upgrade and speaker upgrade) and dumping my Blues Jr. I like the sound of the Pro Jr. better. Would you get more gain out of different tubes AND a larger speaker? I thing the Tonedog upgrade is a 12" Weber.

Thanks

http://www.tonedog.com/fender_pro_junior_mods.html

Guest Rufer

The stock speaker in the Pro Jr. is pretty crappy. I changed mine out for a Weber--so that's another $100 for the speaker and $40 for new JJ tubes on top of the retail price for the amp. I also put a Weber beam blocker ($15) in there too to take the beaminess out of the single 10" speaker. These upgrades are almost a must to make this a great amp.

What kind of music do you play? A 10" speaker can be great but may not be suited to all types of music. When I play Dick Dale/Trashmen-style surf rock, I wish I had at least a 12" speaker. Otherwise I'm happy with the 10"--or 2x10" if I'm playing both of my Pro Juniors together.

One of the great things about the Pro Junior is it's size and portability. It's so much fun to be able to pick up your guitar case in one hand and the Pro Junior in the other and be out the door. Some of that portability may be lost if you do the mods.

If you're thinking about the Pro Junior and maybe or maybe not modding it--and already like the sound more than what you already have, why don't you buy one and then decide how much you like it as is before modding it.

If you're planning on buying and selling through ye old ebay--you may make some money for whatever level of modification you choose. Of course, then you wouldn't be able to try your Pro Jr. first--and as I said earlier--they vary.

Good points. I have a Pro Jr. at this point and there's something about the tone I like better than the Blues Jr. but at the same time I think it can be improved.

What kind of Weber did you put in? Do you recommend a standard retube kit or the high gain...?

I play mostly original stuff in the vein of Giant Sand ...Neil Young ...dark dirty thick tone. Think Marc Ribot from Tom Waits "Real Gone."

Thanks for the input.

Guest Rufer

I went with the Weber Vintage Ceramic Series 10" speaker--10F100. Contrary to my previous post it was actually only $75. Some folks swear by the Alnico speakers but I like the Ceramic just fine.

I got the standard retube AND requested max headroom. I like the option of playing loud and clean with a big bottom. I use a pedal for most of my fuzz.

Based on the styles you mention, I think a high gain set up may be a bit too much dirt. These are designed to be rather high-gain amps. Even with my standard retube and max headroom request--I get a bit of dirt at like 4, if I'm digging in and my guitar is all the way up. If I were going for what you are, I'd go for a standard retube kit and request 'early breakup'.

I'm considering those mods (cabinet upgrade and speaker upgrade) and dumping my Blues Jr.

:realmad

That Bill dude can make your Blues Jr. into a killing machine.

I agree, these amps should have some hum to them, but crackles and pops should not be there when sitting in idle. From my knowledge the tubes would have nothing to do with this. Could be the Rectifier, as there are solid state. How old is it, and is it under any waranty?

It's relatively old, I'm not sure exactly how many years...but yeah. I'm going to have somebody take a look at it later this week. The pops/crackles are pretty slight, but definitely there. There is a little background hum/noise to the amp that I'm just assuming is part of its character. We'll see. Thanks for the help though :thumbup