The Hold Steady - "Sequestered In Memphis"

I hope the production on the album is better than the single.

myspace compression blows, i've got the actual single, sounds great

pretty good song. not great, but i dig the horns and Ben's backing vox

I know it does. The iTunes single is muddy too. Same thing happened with the BTCD EP a few month back on iTunes.

that's too bad about the iTunes version... another reason why i never buy shit from there

at first i thought he was singing "Some Peanuts in Texas, Sequestered in Memphis" :rotfl

Which you probably assumed related to some personal story of how when Craig was in Texas he stumbled across a bag of mixed nuts on the ground, and chose to only partake of the peanuts, after which he gave the rest of the nuts to a homeless man with a sign that said "Will Work For Peanuts", apologizing that he had not read the man's sign before eating all the peanuts. Sounds like another Craig Finn storytelling masterpiece!

at first i thought he was singing "Some Peanuts in Texas, Sequestered in Memphis" :rotfl

I just got around to listening to this and I totally get what you are saying. :lol

I like it, especially the piano. And the horns too.

Ooh is this the one with Ben Nichols? I saw it on Myspace yesterday but never got a chance to listen.

Saw them in concert last Saturday and they played this. They also brought on a guest on guitar, I think, for this song so it could have been him (young, shaved head, stubble). The guy did get an introduction but it slipped me by.

They played the title track off the new album too. Both this(^^) and Stay Positive master the usual Hold Steady trick of having part of the chorus that's instantly singalongable.