Momofuku

Guest Cousin Tupelo

Guest Cousin Tupelo

Dunno if I'm behind the loop on this but I just heard Elvis Costell and the Imposters have a new album out, "Momofuku, which got some good notes in "Very Short List".

"The title is a tribute to Momofuku

Yes, I bought the album when it came out. I think it's his best work in years. It may be the quick nature in which he recorded and released, but I haven't seen much press on this. The album, stylistically, is all over the place. It works though. I highly recommend it.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
Yes, I bought the album when it came out. I think it's his best work in years. It may be the quick nature in which he recorded and released, but I haven't seen much press on this. The album, stylistically, is all over the place. It works though. I highly recommend it.

I'm probably in a vast minority, but I loved "Brutal Youth" with the Attractions. But that was about 13 years ago ...

And I couldn't get his Toussaint collaboration out of my car CD player for about two months.

I held off on this for a rainy day. Had the vinyl, but wanted to wait until I had the time to sit and really listen. I had stayed away from all reviews except the chatter in this thread. Completely agree with the Brutal Youth comparisons. Especially at the beginning.

A few quick thoughts after 2 listens:

1. When I listen to Elvis after a long hiatus, I realize how so far superior he is to virtually EVERY other songwriter I listen to. The guy is just a flat out genius. Stunning.

2. This record has sort of a loosey-goosey feel and it helps and hurts. Makes for a fun time, but it seems like the lyrics suffered in spots.

Looking forward to more time with this one... Elvis is King. Oh, hey, I forgot about my avatar. :lol

Guest Cousin Tupelo
I held off on this for a rainy day. Had the vinyl, but wanted to wait until I had the time to sit and really listen. I had stayed away from all reviews except the chatter in this thread. Completely agree with the Brutal Youth comparisons. Especially at the beginning.

A few quick thoughts after 2 listens:

1. When I listen to Elvis after a long hiatus, I realize how so far superior he is to virtually EVERY other songwriter I listen to. The guy is just a flat out genius. Stunning.

2. This record has sort of a loosey-goosey feel and it helps and hurts. Makes for a fun time, but it seems like the lyrics suffered in spots.

Looking forward to more time with this one... Elvis is King. Oh, hey, I forgot about my avatar. :lol

True that. Elvis probably can come up with more true music hooks over tea than most songwriters could craft over a lifetime.

Brutal Youth had a loosey-goosey feel, which may have chased some off. But 20% Amnesia has more kick than a half-dozen cappacinos.

True that. Elvis probably can come up with more true music hooks over tea than most songwriters could craft over a lifetime.

It's not just hooks though -- the guy just knows how to craft a song. He is a master. It's really stunning. Bridges and harmonies and hooks. How about the harmony on Turpentine? Ain't no one doing that. He is so much better than everyone out there.

The mix reminds of This Year's Model in spots too. Especially that organ on American Gangster Time. Right outta Radio Radio.

I need some more time with the album to give a final opinion, but this one is definitely going to get quite a few spins.

Brutal Youth took awhile to kick in but when it did, it was GOOOOOD. Still is.

Listening to Momofuko now....yessir.

Anyone hear about any tour dates in the US (not with the Police)?????

Guest Cousin Tupelo
It's not just hooks though -- the guy just knows how to craft a song. He is a master. It's really stunning. Bridges and harmonies and hooks. How about the harmony on Turpentine? Ain't no one doing that. He is so much better than everyone out there.

The mix reminds of This Year's Model in spots too. Especially that organ on American Gangster Time. Right outta Radio Radio.

I need some more time with the album to give a final opinion, but this one is definitely going to get quite a few spins.

Of course. I still consider Imperial Bedroom an achievement akin to Sgt. Pepper's just in how the entire album is crafted and interweaves itself.

And his biggest area of underappreciation? This guy can flat out sing -- from crooner, to screamer, to balladeer.

Of course. I still consider Imperial Bedroom an achievement akin to Sgt. Pepper's just in how the entire album is crafted and interweaves itself.

And his biggest area of underappreciation? This guy can flat out sing -- from crooner, to screamer, to balladeer.

how 'bout it. Imperial bedroom is cut for cut the best EC out there. Absolutely phenomenol!

And you're right Elvis gets no credit for his vocal stylings. I've seen him with the attractions, imposters, solo acoustic, a capella, and w/ orchestra background, and he's more than capable in any setting.

He can turn a nimble, if sometimes reaching, lyric, too.

And the mans got a great sense of humor, too.

Uh-oh, I just might be going gay for Elvis......hope my girlfriend doesn't see this.... :stunned