Wilmington Show

Coming from Cali for the Wilmington show and we are quite stoked about the whole deal. :dancing

We are brining my Uncle and Aunt and coming down from Philly.

We really want to show them a bang up time and I know the show will do it, but can anyone suggest any great places to eat, drink and be merry before the show? Does not need to be too fancy, but it must be good food. These folks enjoy culture and are adventurous as well. So nothing is out of the question.

Perhaps something in stumbling distance as the opportunity to catch a nice buzz :thumbup

Thanks in advance....

Coming from Cali for the Wilmington show and we are quite stoked about the whole deal. :dancing

We are brining my Uncle and Aunt and coming down from Philly.

We really want to show them a bang up time as they need a little lift in their spritis. I know the show will do it, but can anyone suggest any great places to eat, drink and be merry before the show? Does not need to be too fancy, but it must be good food. These folks enjoy culture and are adventurous as well. So nothing is out of the question.

Perhaps something in stumbling distance as the opportunity to catch a nice buzz was a request from one of our guests.

Thanks in advance....

i haven't lived there in 11 years so i'm not going to offer up much. it was kind of dicey around that area at night back then, so be careful about leaving anything laying out in the car if you park on the street and take precations walking around. i'm sure someone will come along and give you some good info.

did a quick search to jog my memory.

o'friel's at 600 delaware ave is about 8 blocks away and was one of my haunts. decent food, irish pub grub.

the bars in trolley square on delaware ave are a little farther away. my favorite there was scratch magoos, they had a good bufalo chicken sandwich. there are several bars in the trolley square area to walk around to.

there's a place on washington st near o'friel's called the washington ale house that looks promising from their on line menu, but i'm thinking it was a different bar when i lived there.

there are a lot of places more near the opera house but i didn't go out around there too much.

if dinardo's crab house is still open i would highly suggest working that in on your visit but it takes a few hours to get through a meal there.

did a quick search to jog my memory.

o'friel's at 600 delaware ave is about 8 blocks away and was one of my haunts. decent food, irish pub grub.

the bars in trolley square on delaware ave are a little farther away. my favorite there was scratch magoos, they had a good bufalo chicken sandwich. there are several bars in the trolley square area to walk around to.

there's a place on washington st near o'friel's called the washington ale house that looks promising from their on line menu, but i'm thinking it was a different bar when i lived there.

there are a lot of places more near the opera house but i didn't go out around there too much.

if dinardo's crab house is still open i would highly suggest working that in on your visit but it takes a few hours to get through a meal there.

O'Friel's and Dinardo's both closed up shop years ago...but Scratch MaGoos is still open and the buffalo chicken sandwich is still fantastic!

Washington Street Alse House is still open. It has changed a bit, but it is still the same bar. Decent place to hang and the food is good. Great sushi place right next door called Mikimotos. Same owner as Washington Street Ale House.

The 821 Market Bistro is right across the street. It's pretty good for dinner and has a nice bar. And it's right across the street.

I've never had problems finding on-street parking right around the corner from the Grand and the neighborhood isn't bad at all.

https://ssl-025.vianetworks.net/Restaurant821/index.htm

Another nice restaurant is Deep Blue. It's maybe a 10 minute walk from the Grand.

http://www.deepbluebarandgrill.com/

The 821 Market Bistro is right across the street. It's pretty good for dinner and has a nice bar. And it's right across the street.

I've never had problems finding on-street parking right around the corner from the Grand and the neighborhood isn't bad at all.

https://ssl-025.vianetworks.net/Restaurant821/index.htm

Another nice restaurant is Deep Blue. It's maybe a 10 minute walk from the Grand.

http://www.deepbluebarandgrill.com/

Unfortunately, the 821 Bistro has closed up shop as well. Deep Blue is still open and is very good.

Unfortunately, the 821 Bistro has closed up shop as well.

I guess I haven't been there since the White Stripes show last summer. Seemed like they did a good business, but maybe that was only on show nights at the Grand?

The show is listed as 7:00. Wilco could potentially be on as early as 8:00, probably no time for "fine dining".

Thanks for all the possibilities.

Bummed to hear about 812 bistro, it was on the top of the list........

also looking at this - Luigi Vitrone's Pastabilities - anyone been?

Will check out some of the other places.

O'Friel's and Dinardo's both closed up shop years ago...but Scratch MaGoos is still open and the buffalo chicken sandwich is still fantastic!

dang internet, they were both listed on mapping services still. i can't believe dinardo's closed but o'friel's was never the same in the new locale. thanks for straightening things out.

Was at the GOH with my son last night to see Zappa Plays Zappa. Phenomenol.

First time at the venue and I must say it is immaculate: intimate (hell it's TINY), great acoustics, beautiful architecture and design: all that good stuff.

We parked about 2 blocks from the venue and wandered around looking for a place to munch. NO LUCK- everything (what little there was) was closed.

I would suggest driving to one of the hangouts mentioned and then parking closer to the show..plenty of parking available either streetside or garage.

Wilmington is a big banking city. I think after business hours and on weekends the whole city virtually shuts down!

See you all on 8/10!!!!

Was at the GOH with my son last night to see Zappa Plays Zappa. Phenomenol.

First time at the venue and I must say it is immaculate: intimate (hell it's TINY), great acoustics, beautiful architecture and design: all that good stuff.

We parked about 2 blocks from the venue and wandered around looking for a place to munch. NO LUCK- everything (what little there was) was closed.

I would suggest driving to one of the hangouts mentioned and then parking closer to the show..plenty of parking available either streetside or garage.

Wilmington is a big banking city. I think after business hours and on weekends the whole city virtually shuts down!

See you all on 8/10!!!!

Very true! Nobody lives in this part of town...it's only businesses, so most places shut down after work. There are few places to eat and drink, but not many. As mentioned above, the closest casual places to eat and drink are Washington Street Ale House and Mikimotos Sushi. They are right next door to each other, only a short distance form the venue.

If you want to go just a bit further into the Trolly Square area of town you can find about 5 or 6 bars (with food) all within a half block of each other. They are...Logan House, Scratch MaGoos, Kathryn Roonys, Del Rose, Toscana and a few others.

It is, without question, the nicest seated venue in the Philadelphia area. It's like a 1/3rd scale Academy of Music with better acoustics and better sight lines.

Will anyone here be taping this show?

If anyone does, the quality will probably be amazing. I've heard this place has fantastic sound (I have a friend from Wilmington) and she said its very intimate and stuff. Should be a great show for those who are going.