MLB 2008 Part 3, Take 2

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's a bit, but I will fight you.

Sean McAdam on WEEI just said the deal is dead because the Marlins wanted too much $$$ on top of a 'free' Manny.

Hell, everything's speculation right now.

Sean McAdam on WEEI just said the deal is dead because the Marlins wanted too much $$$ on top of a 'free' Manny.

Hell, everything's speculation right now.

Everything I'm reading says it's because Pitt wanted not just Hermida, but a ML Ready starter and 2 more prospects on top of that.

Boston.com:

At the moment, the deal would require the Red Sox to include prospects as well as Manny Ramirez and the $7 million remaining on his 2008 salary, a price the Sox appear unwilling to pay at this time.

I read that as $7mill to the Marlins, not Pitt.

Boston.com:

I read that as $7mill to the Marlins, not Pitt.

The Marlins want the money, the Pirates want the prospects. I would say to a team like Boston, Clay Buccholz or Masterson is worth a hell of a lot more in a trade than 7 million.

Of course BOS could be balking for fuck's sake, to see if they can not lose that 7 mill.

I think they'd be OK with losing Masterson/Bucholz at this point.

The sticking point was Pittsburgh demanded a ML ready starter and the Red Sox wouldn't give up one of theirs. So they asked the Marlins to throw in Ryan Tucker. The Marlins asked for an extra 2 million for him, and that's where it fell apart. Sounds like everyone was being stubborn, but the stubbornness started with Pittsburgh and spread from there.

LA is now in the mix. Offered Andre Either. That's no better than Hermida or Willingham.

LA's positional strengths in the organization aren't much help to Boston. 1B and 3B. LA would have one of the most expensive outfields ever if they got Manny.

With the three-way deal between the Pirates, Red Sox, and Marlins falling through, an MLB.com source says that the Rays are going to acquire right-handed hitting outfielder Jason Bay for Minor League prospects including shortstop Reid Brignac and right-hander Jeff Niemann. The Rays have not confirmed the deal.

--Bill Chastain

Guest Jules
With the three-way deal between the Pirates, Red Sox, and Marlins falling through, an MLB.com source says that the Rays are going to acquire right-handed hitting outfielder Jason Bay for Minor League prospects including shortstop Reid Brignac and right-hander Jeff Niemann. The Rays have not confirmed the deal.

--Bill Chastain

Well fuck. That's what I get for having 2 good Pirates on my NL-only fantasy team (Nady, Bay). They're bound to get dealt for not much in return.

here's a Reds fan sad to see Griffey go ... man last night's homer in Houston was a no doubter right off the bat monster

enjoy him in Chicago

Too bad that never worked out. Now I just heard a great point on nesn, how can the marlins (or any other team) not take manny when the sox are paying his contract

and......bout 30 secs ago on NESN, 3way manny trade back on??? I LOVE BASEBALL

WEEI reports that Gordon Edes says a deal has gone down w/Manny. I'm not seeing it on boston.com though.

Sons of Sam Horn:

Edes on NESN: "I'm being told that a trade has gone down with Manny Ramirez. No details yet, but something is in the commissioner's office."
After all the talks about Bay heading to Tampa Bay or Boston, it appears that the Dodgers may have landed the Pirates left fielder just prior to the 4 p.m. ET deadline.

MLB.com has confirmed that they were a late player in the race for Bay and that it was L.A. One industry source in Pittsburgh believes that a deal between the two clubs has been made.

Stay here for more details.

http://trades.mlblogs.com/

WEEI reports that Gordon Edes says a deal has gone down w/Manny. I'm not seeing it on boston.com though.

Sons of Sam Horn:

LA dodgers-weei, proably kemp. Someone just joked nomar is coming back :cheers