Favorite Beatles drum part?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whenever anyone ever says a new band sounds like the beatles or bob dylan that seems to be a sure-fire guarantee that they'll be shit and that level of shitness seems to increase the further away from the 1960s we get in terms of when such a claim upon a new band is made.

I think I agree with that, but it's nothing to do with the new band, and everything to do with lazy music writing and gullible readership.

So far, nobody has pointed out an example of Ringo doing a poor job of playing the drums.

I don't think anyone was trying to say that Ringo was a poor drummer. Personally, I'm tired of hearing the same, bad arguments as to why he should be considered great. In my mind, Ringo was a drummer. His playing was exactly what any drummer's should be as such. Keep time. Play to the song. Vary the playing enough to keep things interesting. He did all of these things, but not much more. The fact that he was a part of the most popular rock group we've seen yet, is almost pure luck and does not speak to his skill level. Another argument that I've heard a lot of is that "he was perfect for the Beatles" or "no one else could have filled that position like he did." Maybe so, but I think that is something that could be said of a lot of drummers and again, does not speak to his skill level.

I agree. His body of work and how he treated and approached each song is perfect but I would never say: "Oh, my god, Ringo is a sick drummer!"

Then what is a "sick" drummer? If he compliments the songs and band perfectly, what's not sick about that? I'm asking somewhat rhetorically because I am assuming you are talking about technical proficiency. Something like "Danny Carey is a sick drummer!" But I've always contended if it was about chops, you wouldn't have Guitar Centers brimming with dudes who can shred.

... and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Then what is a "sick" drummer?

Billy Cobham is a sick drummer. He would have been terrible in the Beatles.

I say that on all the early Beatles songs (from 63 to 65) his drums sound like a saucepan, and that's not a big point.

Is that a question?

Then what is a "sick" drummer? If he compliments the songs and band perfectly, what's not sick about that? I'm asking somewhat rhetorically because I am assuming you are talking about technical proficiency. Something like "Danny Carey is a sick drummer!" But I've always contended if it was about chops, you wouldn't have Guitar Centers brimming with dudes who can shred.

... and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

It is about chops and it's not. His work with the Beatles is great but you don't see him doing experimental side projects and he didn't really push the envelope in the Beatles. When he did it was more about John and Paul coaxing him to try different things, such as "The End." Glenn and Nels are sick, do experimental work on the side, but they don't play like Animal from the Muppets and Yngwie during Radio Cure because it wouldn't fit the song.

I don't want to get into a "is Ringo great or not" thing because he is great. His fills were so perfectly placed and his body of work is amazing. Cheers to Ringo!

He did all of these things, but not much more.

That's key. Most drummers overplay. One of Ringo's strengths is that he knew exactly how much to play. He didn't just throw in a roundhouse tom fill or a rapid fire single stroke snare roll every four or eight bars.

"Good Morning Good Morning"... perfect drum track. Every single note contributes to the song.

Glenn Kotche is one of the few drummers that are a differentiator in a band in my view. I was a fan of Ken Coomer and was disappointed when he left the band. That disappointment dissipated when I first saw Glenn live. Drummers, by nature, are supposed to keep beat. I've never been blown away by Ringo's drumming but it was very capable. I just prefer that he never ever sing.

Glenn Kotche is one of the few drummers that are a differentiator in a band in my view.

That'd be a cool thread idea.

It'd be interesting to compare normal Beatles concerts with the ones when Ringo was sick and they had to use a substitute drummer.