Tweedy: "Mid-life crisis guitar"?

I was listening to the June 21, 2003 show recently and right before they go into "Red Eyed & Blue", Jeff says "This is my mid-life crisis guitar".

Does anyone know what guitar he is referring to? It got me thinking what I would envision as a mid-life crisis guitar. What is the guitar equivalent of the proverbal red sports car? Something gaudy and show-y, no? Like a Flying V or somthing silly like that, no?

So, to recap:

1. Does anyone know what guitar Jeff is referring to?

2. What is your idealized mid life crisis guitar?

I'm thinking of buying myself a Les Paul Standard when I turn 40 a few years from now.

But first I have to have a couple thousand bucks worth of tree work in my yard. Then I'm going to add a deck to my house, and repair my retaining wall. And maybe replace or repair the rusting iron railing out front. Might need some driveway resurfacing before then, too. And definitely a new HVAC system. My washer and dryer probably aren't going to last much longer. And the refrigerator is pretty old. Our cars aren't getting any younger.

Looks like my mid-life crisis guitar is going to be pretty lame.

• 2 weeks later...

Mid Life Crisis . . . good name for a band . . .

oh wait, i play in a band called Mid Life Crisis . . .

just a bar band . . . but damn, the guitar player has been gettin some gig chops . . . Chuck Alvarez has been playing in Lisa Haley's band a while (grammy nominee for Zydeco) Haley did one of the American music series shows in Pasadena this summer (others in the FREE series were Joe Doe, The Blasters etc.)

I think MLCs one August gig was one the best nights I've heard him

me on the other hand, i can't play my way out of a paper bag these days, but i know i musta had one or two good music moments in my pathetic life . . .

maybe it's time to purchase a mid life crisis keyboard and actually spend some time playing the darn thing