Abstinence balloon deflated!

From a letter to the editor in my paper this week:

You might say,

OK. Here is the whole letter.

How pro-life is

Letter is from an Ulster County locale, not the Granite State. :hmm

Is killing innocent children or pregnant mothers in Iraq and calling it collateral damage OK?

Or anyone else for that matter. I've often wondered what the intersection is between the pro-lifers and the pro-death penalty crowd. Hmmmm.

Is killing innocent children or pregnant mothers in Iraq and calling it collateral damage OK?

Or anyone else for that matter. I've often wondered what the intersection is between the pro-lifers and the pro-death penalty crowd. Hmmmm.

i can't speak for them, but my guess is a personal interpretation/distinction that abortion constitutes ending an innocent life and the death penalty a guilty one. i realize there is a lot of grey area in botht defition of 'life' relative to abortion and even more in how someone is found guility in a court of law...but at face value, they are pretty different.

the war argument much, much harder to navigate...but, again, one could argue intent and level of control in the death of the innocent in question. the scale of those affected also treads into apple/orange territory.

it's why i'm pro-choice, but personally regard abortion as a decision that should be weighed very heaviliy and come to after examining all other options before you get to that point.

and i have a hard time taking a definitive stand on the death penalty. there are some genuinely evil people out there, who have done genuinely evil things and there is a part of me that thinks that death is the only punishment that fits. especially if they feel no remorse or guilt over their actions.

however, i'd have a hard time personally sentencing anyone who did not definitively meet those standards (or lack thereof).

Say what you want about the guy, but J Nick definitely didn't write this. It would've been alot easier to read.

And I'd say that if I had to play devil's advocate (We all know how much I hate to do that) and justify being pro-war and pro-life, I'd say I could do so by saying that war doesn't have to end with someone dying. Abortion does. Doesn't have to be hypocritical.

It's a flimsy case, but if I were on that side and used that as my reasoning, I wouldn't think I was a bad person.

Personally, I hate trying to draw a moral line across the board. Sometimes, I could be pro-war, and sometimes, I could be anti-abortion. What I feel on one issue may not be how I feel on another, or even that same issue at a different time.