Surgery stories

While you're anesthetized, they intubate you, meaning they put tube down your throat so you can breathe. They have to wake you up when they extubate you, so they can make sure you can breathe on your own.

ah, thanks for the info.

and is it common to have trouble catching your breath at first when you're waking up in recovery? (i'm hoping it was a fluke, for future reference.)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, thanks for the info.

and is it common to have trouble catching your breath at first when you're waking up in recovery? (i'm hoping it was a fluke, for future reference.)

yes, pretty common. so is waking up a little combative. :punch

If something weird occurs, they should give you a letter to pass on to any future healthcare providers. Especially if you were a difficult intubation. This is something you don't want to be, but if you've had a cervical (neck) fusion or jaw problems and can't open your mouth much, I would tell the anesthesia provider.

yes, pretty common. so is waking up a little combative. :punch

If something weird occurs, they should give you a letter to pass on to any future healthcare providers. Especially if you were a difficult intubation. This is something you don't want to be, but if you've had a cervical (neck) fusion or jaw problems and can't open your mouth much, I would tell the anesthesia provider.

thank you. and what a perfect emoticon!

In the span of less than a year, I had my gall bladder and gall stones removed, a inguinal hernia repaired, and 3 impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed. Needless to say, I am over my fear of needles now.........

Just a comment about pain pills.

Although a reasonable request in some instances, asking for things like dilaudid could cause your physician to suddenly become suspicious. Probably better to first ask what they routinely give to control pain and how much pain you're expected to have postoperatively. Then discuss what happens if those make you throw-up or don't relieve the pain. These types of questions work well for a patient suffering chronic pain with an extensive medical history OR a patient that is having their first surgery.

Just a comment about pain pills.

Although a reasonable request in some instances, asking for things like dilaudid could cause your physician to suddenly become suspicious. Probably better to first ask what they routinely give to control pain and how much pain you're expected to have postoperatively. Then discuss what happens if those make you throw-up or don't relieve the pain. These types of questions work well for a patient suffering chronic pain with an extensive medical history OR a patient that is having their first surgery.

And, for the love of christ, no hats on the fucking bed please.

Dilaudid is strong stuff, especially when mixed with Tennessee whiskey.

In the span of less than a year, I had my gall bladder and gall stones removed, a inguinal hernia repaired, and 3 impacted wisdom teeth surgically removed. Needless to say, I am over my fear of needles now.........

i had to get surgery on my eyelid, which involved a needle going into my eyelid. i was totally conscious for this all, so seeing a nice needle going towards your eye... yeah that one got ME over MY fear of needles hah.