Gary Louris, Turner Ballroom, 10/24/08

A bit of a delayed report on the Louris show in Milwaukee Friday night. He came on at 9:20, and his opening line was, "I have a lot of songs and not enough time, so I'm going to get started."

Songs played (not in the correct order and not necessarily complete):

True Blue

Omaha Nights

To Die A Happy Man

Vagabonds

D.C. Blues

Everybody Knows (? Not sure on the title; it's a song he wrote with the Dixie Chicks--a really good song)

New solo tune? don't know the name

Listen Joe (before which he referenced his forthcoming Old Town shows in Chicago and calling "Jeff, to see if he was around." Of course, he was at Bridge School.)

Until You Came Along

Waiting For The Sun

Settled Down Like Rain

One Man's Problem

Angelyne

Save It For A Rainy Day

Sound of Lies

Big Star (complete with posters advertising the upcoming Alex Chilton show on the walls of Turner)

I'm sure of this much of the order: True Blue was the opener, Big Star was the closer. I think I accounted for most of the songs between, but there was one Golden Smog song of whose title I'm not sure.

Overall it was a great night. I've seen the Jayhawks more than any other band, but I'm not a huge fan of Vagabonds. I wasn't sure what to expect from this show, but it was a really enjoyable night. Gary sounded great, of course his guitar playing is always great, and he was in good spirits. He made a few references to the Jayhawks playing some shows together again, which is an interesting thought. Will it be the most recent incarnation of the Jayhawks? Or will it include Olson and Grotberg? I'd be interested to hear more about this if anyone knows more.

Overall it was a great night. I've seen the Jayhawks more than any other band, but I'm not a huge fan of Vagabonds. I wasn't sure what to expect from this show, but it was a really enjoyable night. Gary sounded great, of course his guitar playing is always great, and he was in good spirits. He made a few references to the Jayhawks playing some shows together again, which is an interesting thought. Will it be the most recent incarnation of the Jayhawks? Or will it include Olson and Grotberg? I'd be interested to hear more about this if anyone knows more.

The upcoming Jayhawks shows will be the 1995 edition, with Mark Olson, Karen Grotberg, Tim O'Reagan and of course Marc Perlman. This is the lineup that played at a festival in Spain last month. :cheers

I saw him last night, both shows, in Chicago. Set lists were similar to what you listed. Maybe the old Golden Smog song you didn't know was "Won't Be Coming Home", as he played that one last night. Both sets were very different, with just a few overlaps. Gary also played "Easy to be Hard", from the first Golden Smog EP long long ago. Gary really shines solo, with just his guitar and that beautiful voice.... :wub It was a wonderful night!

Oh, I would have loved to have heard "Won't Be Coming Home." The Smog song had to be from Another Fine Day or Blood On The Slacks, but I'm not even sure I'd recognize the title. Sorry!

The 1995 incarnation--excellent. :cheers Let me know if you hear any specific dates!

Listen Joe (before which he referenced his forthcoming Old Town shows in Chicago and calling "Jeff, to see if he was around." Of course, he was at Bridge School.)

:lol Because otherwise, he would definitely be hanging out in Milwaukee.

I was sorry to miss this show. I haven't seen Gary play in too long, and it looks like a really nice set. Did he take some setlist inspiration from the weather?

:lol Because otherwise, he would definitely be hanging out in Milwaukee.

:lol I was thinking the same thing but then realized he probably meant, was he around for the Chicago appearances on Saturday night. Not that Milwaukee doesn't rock and whatnot. Go Brewers. (I'm a huge fan. I have a towel and everything.)

:lol I was thinking the same thing but then realized he probably meant, was he around for the Chicago appearances on Saturday night. Not that Milwaukee doesn't rock and whatnot. Go Brewers. (I'm a huge fan. I have a towel and everything.)

Gary was talking about calling Jeff for the next night in Chicago.

The Turner is a really nice venue BTW, except that it's small and they have a bar in the back. So for most of Gary's set, I got to listen to really drunk people talk which was totally distracting. Gary seemed not to notice.

Also, Ike Reilly was really good. I will have to check out some of his stuff.

• 2 weeks later...