I do have that one and like it quite a bit.

I think I'm looking more for classical options. I've found a few, and a couple in this thread. Any must have classical suites?

How are there so many posts so far and nothing about classical music? (Whiskeytown? Camper van Beethoven? Sigh....) :ohwell

The sonatas and partitas for solo violin by Bach are the obvious place to start.......any recording really but violinists like Gidon Kremer, Hilary Hahn, Arthur Grumiaux, Christian Tetzlaff, Thomas Zehetmair, David Oistrakh, etc. are all worth checking out -- you can't go wrong with any of these.....

From there, Beethoven's violin concerto is highly recommended (Itzhak Perlman recording on EMI with Giulini conducting and the Chicago Symphony I think?). There are also famous violin concertos by Brahms, Shostakovich, Mozart, Sibelius, Mendelssohn, Prokofiev, Ligeti, Barber, Elgar, Stravinsky, John Adams, Philip Glass, etc., etc. The Glass concerto with Gidon Kremer as soloist is just incredible. Astor Piazzolla is an Argentine classical/tango composer who's pretty easy to listen to also....

Any of the string quartets by Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, Schubert, Shostakovich, Dvorak, Bartok, Philip Glass........violin sonatas by Mozart, Arvo Part, Ravel, Schumann, Beethoven, Schubert (esp.), Debussy, Ives, etc. The Kronos Quartet has a CD called "Early Music" that I bet she would like -- also their CD of the Glass string quartets......for chamber music, some Kronos recordings are a little out there but anything by the Takacs Quartet (Beethoven middle quartets in particular), Alban Berg Quartet (look for their Haydn), Juilliard Quartet, Keller Quartet (Bach's Art of Fugue), et al will be worthwhile. The Emerson String Quartet is not really my thing but quite popular too....

I would quibble with a few choices on this list of 50 recommended recordings by NPR, but it's a good place for beginners: http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/pt50.html.

Alex Ross' list is also worth checking out: http://www.therestisnoise.com/top_10_summer_hits/

Last: there is a TON of remarkable early/medieval/Renaissance music for strings: look for "consort music" or music for "viols" by composers like Henry Purcell (amazing), William Byrd, John Dowland, Christopher Tye, et al.......this was the original ambient music....not that far from Eno's "Discreet Music" (another CD I would suggest) or "Music for Airports"...

Your best bet is definitely to start with the Bach sonatas and Beethoven concerto and then investigate the discography of any violinists whose sound you like. I would go with Gidon Kremer and Hilary Hahn.....better yet, take her to a classical concert! Feel free to send me a PM for any further suggestions.

Nice call! The first IABD record is a favorite, and The Flock...what was the name of that record - Dinosaur Swamp? Man I listened to that one at a friend's house a lot back in the day.
Dinosaur Swamp was their second. Speaking of Jerry Goodman, he went over to the Mahavishnu Orchestra and made some fine music over there for awhile. Wonder what ever happened to him?? (I just checked wikipedia and I guess he is still around and has recorded on 50 albums.....)

Only old guys like us care about such stuff....

LouieB

How are there so many posts so far and nothing about classical music? (Whiskeytown? Camper van Beethoven? Sigh....) :ohwell

Is there some rule that says Wilco fans have to be classical music fans? Anyway...

MBB, here is one of my sisters in law's response:

Mozart quartets are a great place to start. Unaccompanied Bach violin solos are wonderful too.

Anything called a Concerto for Violin will feature the violin and knock your socks off... a few of note are the Mendelssohn, the Beethoven, Mozart #3 or Mozart #5, the Barber and the Tchaikovsky.

ALSO make sure you include other styles, like bluegrass or jazz. there are some really good compilation albums for bluegrass - I particularly like the O Sister Where Art Thou (inspired the the O Brother movie).

Pick up anything by the Kronos quartet.

Very exciting! good luck!

Oh and she also said to tell you not to worry if she isn't any good at 9 because it takes about 20 years to master the violin (she started at 3 years old)... :lol

Dinosaur Swamp was their second. Speaking of Jerry Goodman, he went over to the Mahavishnu Orchestra and made some fine music over there for awhile. Wonder what ever happened to him?? (I just checked wikipedia and I guess he is still around and has recorded on 50 albums.....)

Only old guys like us care about such stuff....

LouieB

I think Clive Davis "stole" Goodman from The Flock for Mahavishnu - McLaughlin wanted Jean-Luc, but he had visa problems or something at the time.

Is there some rule that says Wilco fans have to be classical music fans? Anyway...

MBB, here is one of my sisters in law's response:

Oh and she also said to tell you not to worry if she isn't any good at 9 because it takes about 20 years to master the violin (she started at 3 years old)... :lol

thanks much! I will check this out today. However, now I'm more worried because I should have had her start at age 3. She is now destined to be a huge failure.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

thanks much! I will check this out today. However, now I'm more worried because I should have had her start at age 3. She is now destined to be a huge failure.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

:lol Awww.

Do you think she will go down the professional road or is she just doing this for fun? My sister in law has a degree in musical performance from SC and she's always known from an early age that she wanted a career in music. My little sister also plays violin in her school's orchestra but just for fun. I don't think she started until she was maybe 12 or 13 (she's 17 now).

Last year I went to one of my sister in law's philharmonic concerts which featured this 20 year old violin prodigy. My god was she amazing.

:lol Awww.

Do you think she will go down the professional road or is she just doing this for fun? My sister in law has a degree in musical performance from SC and she's always known from an early age that she wanted a career in music. My little sister also plays violin in her school's orchestra but just for fun. I don't think she started until she was maybe 12 or 13 (she's 17 now).

Last year I went to one of my sister in law's philharmonic concerts which featured this 20 year old violin prodigy. My god was she amazing.

No, her plans at this point are to be a Doctor and a Mom. She wants to play the violin and piano on the side. She has been playing the piano for a few years. Although decent, she is not on the prodigy path at this point. Her brother started piano this year and is close to surpassing her. Either way, I know that this stuff is good for them so I'm all over it.

My kids do have, what I consider, to be superior taste in music. A neighbor was over the other day and asked if she wanted to go see High School Musical 3. She said 'no thanks'. It was a proud moment.

Dinosaur Swamp was their second. Speaking of Jerry Goodman, he went over to the Mahavishnu Orchestra and made some fine music over there for awhile.

LouieB

Was The Flock before Mahavishnu? I though The Flock came after. I just listened to Dinosaur Swamp last week. I've still never heard their first album.

No, her plans at this point are to be a Doctor and a Mom. She wants to play the violin and piano on the side. She has been playing the piano for a few years. Although decent, she is not on the prodigy path at this point. Her brother started piano this year and is close to surpassing her. Either way, I know that this stuff is good for them so I'm all over it.

My kids do have, what I consider, to be superior taste in music. A neighbor was over the other day and asked if she wanted to go see High School Musical 3. She said 'no thanks'. It was a proud moment.

Oh definitely. Lots of kids do the music thing and I agree it is good for them. I played piano for about 10 years. I was never that good at it, but it did teach me to sight read music which helped down the road when I started singing. I hated practicing and I think that was my downfall.

Violin is very ambitious. My other sister in law has been trying to teach my brother and he is just awful. :lol Been trying to get either of my sisters in law to learn the fiddle on Dreamer in my Dreams. I think that would be awesome!

Sounds like you have some good kids! My niece is really into show tunes right now (she's 3) but she does love The Replacements and some Uncle Tupelo. It's so cute to watch her dance around in her car seat.

Has no one mentioned Final Fantasy/Owen Pallett?

He's a lot like Andrew Bird in terms of style and act, but a lot more interesting in my opinion. If you can get your hands on 'He Poos Clouds', give it a listen; if you ever have a chance to see him live, do not pass that up.