My daughter is taking violin lessons and takes a real interest when I play the very limited amount of violin/orchestral music that I have in my library. Andrew Bird comes to mind but I'm not sure which would feature the violin primarily. Also, classical orchestral would be of interest.

She's 9 and not good but definitely something I want to support. Any recommendations?

At his most recent show that I saw in Cleveland, Alejandro Escovedo had no cello or violin on tour as he has in the past, so it was more of a rock show and that's okay too. But I really loved the tour with the violin/cello. Have her check out this:

Room of Songs - Alejandro Escovedo (Artist), Alejandro Escovedo String Quartet (Performer)

51B9FY7BTBL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Anything featuring Carla Kihlstedt. She is an astonishing violinist, and an excelllent singer, too. She's high on my list of favorite living musicians.

403081802.jpg

Good places to start would be anything by Tin Hat Trio or Two Foot Yard.

Another good violinist is Jenny Scheinman. This is a real nice album by her:

cg125_400.jpg

Bonus...both of these women have played with Nels Cline.

Jenny Scheinman is stunning. I highly recommend this recording of her playing with the Scott Amendola Band in New York last spring.

I also second the recommendation of Andrew Bird. I need to listen to more Carla Khilstedt; a few people have played things by her for me and I've really liked them, but I haven't gotten around to buying any of her work yet.

Stephane Grappelli and Vassar Clements are two of my favorites, though probably a bit intimidating for a novice violinist. Might as well listen to the greats for inspiration though, right?

Get a good Django Reinhardt compilation and one of the Old & In the Way discs to hear those two at their best.

Surprised no one's mentioned Dylan during the Rolling Thunder era yet. Desire and The Bootleg Series Vol. 5 should do the trick.

The live "Isis" = :worship

Edit: Scarlet Rivera is obviously the violinist in question.

Jazz guitarist Mary Halvorson's latest album, Calling All Portraits, has some crazy experimental violin by Jessica Pavone. She's not as good as Jenny Scheinman, but certainly a good example of something less traditional. The album is an import and is ridiculously expensive on CD, but you can get it on iTunes for $7.99 (or at least could when I bought it the other day).

My daughter is taking violin lessons and takes a real interest when I play the very limited amount of violin/orchestral music that I have in my library. Andrew Bird comes to mind but I'm not sure which would feature the violin primarily. Also, classical orchestral would be of interest.

She's 9 and not good but definitely something I want to support. Any recommendations?

Both of my sisters in law are professional violin players and one also gives lessons. I could ask them for suggestions if you'd like.

Both of my sisters in law are professional violin players and one also gives lessons. I could ask them for suggestions if you'd like.

oh yea, absolutely. Some great suggestions in here but I'll take their advice. I'm not looking for anything experimental or anything. I happen to like that stuff but I'm looking for something that she will like and I can more than tolerate. Classical? She was interested when Yo-Yo Ma came on Colbert recently as she has heard of him but didn't care for the song that they played and the violinist kept giggling.

thanks everyone :wave

It would seem that something simpler would be in order for a beginner. Have you thought about older country music? Like George Strait? His entire catalogue has a lot of violin (fiddle) complimenting songs with a more friendly chord structure. The lyric issues (very few) are more about content rather than language, but there are plenty to choose from that would work for a 9 year-old.

check out Horse Feathers. the feature a good deal of violin/fiddle in their music.

I do have that one and like it quite a bit.

I think I'm looking more for classical options. I've found a few, and a couple in this thread. Any must have classical suites?

It would seem that something simpler would be in order for a beginner. Have you thought about older country music? Like George Strait? His entire catalogue has a lot of violin (fiddle) complimenting songs with a more friendly chord structure. The lyric issues (very few) are more about content rather than language, but there are plenty to choose from that would work for a 9 year-old.

I like where your head is.

Somewhere in between.....Its a Beautiful Day and Sea Train and The Flock.

LouieB

Nice call! The first IABD record is a favorite, and The Flock...what was the name of that record - Dinosaur Swamp? Man I listened to that one at a friend's house a lot back in the day.