Lightweight Laptops

My fiance is in the market for a new laptop. She would love a MacBook Air, but they are ridiculously expensive. Can anyone suggest a VERY lightweight laptop that doesn't break the bank? She wants a full laptop not something like an UMPC. I think the Air is the smallest out there, so I realize it wouldn't be THAT small.

Thanks El! That was helpful.

We looked a t a few laptops this weekend and she's leaning towards a netbook. Does anyone own one? She attracted to the size and price. In the little bit of playing around with the keyboard we did, its small size didn't bother her. Again this won't be a primary computer for her. Also she seems to not care about the DVD drive (she says she never uses the one she has on her regular computer, but I'm curious if she'd miss it if it were gone. Finally, I don;t think the low power would be an issue for her as she doesn't do anything graphics-intensive. Anyone have any thoughts? She is looking at the Lenovo S10.

while i don;t have experience with that particular machine, i don;t have many bad things to say about Lenovo. for that kind of price , it seems like it would be hard to go wrong

Well she's an attorney. She has a desktop in her office, but occasionally needs a laptop for depositions, etc. Also, she would use it when working from home, but this is usually not all that intensive work. Again, this is using MS Office, not anything with high graphics demands. Plus (and this is a big plus), we are planning an extended international trip (heavy duty travel, not checked bags type vacation) next year for our honeymoon. The ability to upload pictures, surf the web, update a blog and email friends and family is about all we'd need to do and durability and portability are crucial. A MacBook Air would be great, but we really don't want to spend that much and don't think our computing needs rise to that level.

Right now I am considering the aforementioned Lenovo, the Asus Eee PC 1000H and the MSI Wind. After reading some reviews of the limited battery life of the Lenovo, I am leaning towards the Asus.

Just to make the case against the MacBook Air a little more solid, it doesn't have a CD drive.

Yeah we realize that. None of the "netbooks" we are looking at have internal optical drives either. Again, she is pretty sure she doesn't need one as it is a secondary PC for her and she rarely uses the optical drive anyway. I would love to hear from anyone who has a laptop without an optical drive, though, to see if they miss it.

Well, my disc drive has been broken for a while. I don't really miss it (but am getting it fixed soon). If you ever do miss it and have an external hard drive or maybe even a flash drive, you can burn or rip with another computer and always transfer with the external drive.

Well, my disc drive has been broken for a while. I don't really miss it (but am getting it fixed soon). If you ever do miss it and have an external hard drive or maybe even a flash drive, you can burn or rip with another computer and always transfer with the external drive.

Yeah, honestly the only thing I ever use my optical drive for is burning mixes for friends. Other than that, I use thumb drives.