New (old) Neil Young on NPR

I listened to that last night. It was wonderful! He was so young, just 22! There was a certain innocence and charm in his banter (funny how he talked about learning about artists residuals, "you know, money!" haha) and the songs, oh so beautiful. I cant' wait for this release.

By Rev. Reid Hamilton (Ann Arbor, MI)

As the current Chaplain of Canterbury House, I can offer a little bit of history on this performance.

Canterbury House was then and is now the Episcopal campus ministry at the University of Michigan. In 1968 the Chaplains were the Revs. Dan Burke and Martin Bell, and the student House Manager was Ed Reynolds. These three remarkable persons turned Canterbury House into an innovative coffee house ministry, oriented toward those who were turned off to all things establishment, including main-line churches. The stellar musicians who performed here included Joni Mitchell, Richie Havens, Odetta, Tom Rush, Gordon Lightfoot, the Byrds, and Janis Joplin. Many of these concerts were recorded, and the tapes given to the artists. The venue was intimate, as can clearly be heard on this recording of Neil Young's performance here on Saturday, 9 November 1968. This was his first performance as a solo artist after the breakup of Buffalo Springfield, and indeed this recording includes many of the songs that were hits for the group, including "On The Way Home," "Mr. Soul" and "Broken Arrow." All of the songs on this album, stripped to the bare essentials of voice and guitar, demonstrate the purity and simplicity that has made Neil Young a wonderful songwriter for decades. The dialogue on the recording demonstrates a youthful shyness and a natural ability to connect with his audience.

Canterbury House remains to this day a venue for prophetic music. Our concert series features primarily jazz and experimental idioms. Those of us who were young people in 1968, Neil Young included, "can't be twenty on Sugar Mountain" any more; but it's nice to know Sugar Mountain is still there.

Lefsetz's take on it:

Live At Canterbury House

My favorite Neil Young album is the first. Which is why I streamed this.

I started off with the second, "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere". Bought it around the same time as "Deja Vu". I needed more. I loved "Cinnamon Girl", but the killer was "Down By The River". I was hooked. I turned everybody on to it. And purchased "After The Gold Rush" the day it came out, the first week of my freshman year of college.

Funny how "Southern Man" has become the most famous track off that album. Maybe because of Lynyrd Skynyrd

• 2 weeks later...

From Thrasher's Wheat:

There appears to be a super secret hidden "hidden" track on Sugar Mountain.

In TW comments recently (which lunar_tunes on Rust pointed out), if you pop the CD in your PC, there's a download link for the track "#1 Hit Song Rap".

Of course, the track is so hidden that most folks can't seem to find it. So here's a spoiler tip -- go to Neil Young Download Page.

The rap is quite hilarious and another astonishing premonition of what would come over the next 40 years.

Download Link