jonathan richman @ el rey, 12.4.08

this was the biggest venue i'd seen jonathan & tommy in, in some time. funny to see that deep stage so spartan w/just their gear: tommy's small white gretsch kit, their mics, a mixer set on the floor and jr's guitar case. and the merch window was shut and dark. there will be no retailing tonight...

i've always wondered what the set list communication was like between these two. tonight i finally watched for it. jonathan starts playing...when tommy hears what's going on, he picks up the appropriate sticks or brushes and joins in.

the set!

--intro...

--vermeer

--gave us the wine

--old world

--let her go into the darkness--with full french and italian scenarios

--her beauty is raw & wild

**jonathan was doing a lot of off mic singing, coming around to the front of the stage to sing out into the crowd with his arms spread wide.

--celestial

--stultify

--when we refuse to suffer

--enticing...new!!

--cellphone

--dancing in a lesbian bar--jojo threw done some rad new dance moves here including a mimed reading a book, flippng pages moment :lol

--pablo picasso

--another new song. the chorus included "i yearned for more communication between these people (pronounced peep-el, like hospi-tel in "drummer from the hospi-tel")

--mr. sorrow

--time keeps moving on

*and here they move into the romantic portion of the show

--give paris one more chance!! oh, wonderful! :love

--you must ask the heart!!

--her mystery

-------psuedo encore----

--as my mother lay lying

(have to run to lunch...will post a summation when i get back. :coffee )

i've always wondered what the set list communication was like between these two. tonight i finally watched for it. jonathan starts playing...when tommy hears what's going on, he picks up the appropriate sticks or brushes and joins in.

sounds kinda like another guitar-drums duo we know and that we'll be seeing soon. :dancing

glad you made it to the show, e! :thumbup