Not sure I'm asking this question properly but....I have a room in my house that has awesome acoustics and I want to capture the "room" sound with the right mic. I have an SM 58 but it obviously doesn't do justice. Any ideas? I am recording on a Korg D3200 studio. Any input out there would be appreciated!

You need a decent condenser. I'm borrowing one of these from a friend right now to record my bands EP. The Audio-Technica AT2020.

I'm not sure what kind of price range you are looking in, but it's probably the best ambient mic for the price (only $99 at musicians friend).

We used it as an overhead for the drums and it's amazing what that thing was picking up. My kids were watching a movie in the other side of the house, and we could clearly hear it in between takes.

244831.jpg

it depends quite a bit on your set up and the front end on your recording rig

condensers are nice but cheap ones sound shrill, harsh and unbalanced unless perfectly placeed

I have found that a ribbon mic will generally do the best job, but have some draw backs, namely they are expensive, not as durable as dynamics, and require a fair bit of gain from a preamp to work...but they tend to pick up most nuances in the room without excessive coloring or harshness, and retain a vintage smoothness most other mics have a hard time keeping

check out that oktavia ribbon, a cascade fathead, or some old shure 300/315s (my favorite mics for most applications)

If you want to get into recording more often a good place to start is an Audio Technica 4033. You can get one on ebay for 300-400. They are used professionally on things like electric guitars, toms, bass guitars, acoustic guitars, some vocals, definitely room mic.

That 2020 is fine if you wanna mess around, but a 4033 is a surprisingly, seriously, versatile mic of high quality for low cost.

I've had some pretty decent results with Rode NT1-A microphones. Take a look at those too. They're around $250. I've paired them with a Shure SM-57 on guitar cabs and also used them for lead vocals, acoustic guitars, etc. Pretty versatile mic.