Wilco & Neil Young - 12/7/08

The show was incredible. My friend and I ended up being front row, which was closer than I ever imagined we would be.

The first band, Everest, was terrible.

Wilco started slow, and after Jeff ran off stage during the noise end of IATTBYH to presumably throw up, they started to get going. Jeff later said he was battling a stomach bug, and that he was "gonna kill that damn bug."

Impossible Germany was probably the highlight of their set.

During a lull in the action, I yelled "Wilco: The Song!" That drew a chuckle from the band.

Needless to say, Wilco could not compare to the power that is Neil. His presence on stage is incredible; you just cannot take your eyes off of him. Highlights for me were Hey Hey, My My and A Day in the Life.

Section of a review from Thrasherswheat site since not much posted here about the show......Not mine......See whole post here....... http://www.thrasherswheat.org/2008/12/aubu...610947657082878

Review:

Well to start: Parking was $15, and that sucked, the weather at show time was a balmy 13 degrees according to the thermometer on my car, and it was freaky cold with no one there!! I couldn't even give my expenisve extra away last night. No one wanted to go, and when I got there, no one was there!!! So no one to miracle it to either. Cold will do that!

No drinks allowed on the floor. I was allowed water with my diabetic braclet. It was a Filmore style concert and you had to sign a release waiver before they'd give you a braclet, name, rank, serial number, two sets of phone numbers, ID, etc. Stating if something happened down there the Palace was not liable. No bracelet no floor access. Good Lord Bill Davison, strap on a set, and let your city rock!

First off there were 2 opening bands Wilco/Everest

I walked in as Everst was playing, they just stated and I realized that without effort I was 4 rows of people back from the stage. No one at home. But by the time Wilco came on the place was a little more filled, but still so many empty seats and the floor was maybe 1/3 filled up.

No security but no one smoked, you'd get the occaisional wiff of something skunky but by in large it was a sober show for all.

The first band Everest was acceptable but nothing to write home about.

Wilco was a hoot, I remember now why they frustrate the hell out of me.

They are so tight, turn on a dime, get you in the groove, get your mojo working and boom, right turn Clyde! Still tight, tight, tight, and the guitarist Nels Cline is something else, not certain what, but his style speed and maiacal approach to the instrument, is something else. A not to be missed player for sure. Lacks some tonal body to his playing but technically he's at the top of the pack of the best there are. Nice!!!

Into the first round of songs, leader Jeff Tweedy just set his guitar down and sprinted off the stage. No one seemed alarmed or to notice much??

Well a bit later, Tweedy confided that he wasn't feeling well, a touch of the stomach flu!!! And he was playing!!!! Still putting on a blazing performance for certain.

Folks go see Wilco!!!!! Tell em Jeff sent ya!

Wilco started slow, and after Jeff ran off stage during the noise end of IATTBYH to presumably throw up, they started to get going. Jeff later said he was battling a stomach bug, and that he was "gonna kill that damn bug."

It's true. He barfed. I was seated stage left, near the steps leading up to the stage. As Jeff made his way to the steps, one of the crew brought a lined trash can for Jeff to lose his supper. After a quick drink of water(?), he got back into it. He looked a bit ashy all night, but judging by his performance, everything seemed to be just fine.

KILL THE BUG!! :throwup

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are some pics from the show: http://picasaweb.google.com/bcart79/NeilYo...feat=directlink

NEIL YOUNG & WILCO

December 7th, 2008

Palace Of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, Michigan

***Wilco***

You Are My Face

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

The Late Greats

War On War

Handshake Drugs

Shot In The Arm

Jesus, Etc.

Impossible Germany