I found this interesting link. It's an actual Confederate Civil War veteran demonstrating the infamous "Rebel Yell."

www.26nc.org/History/Rebel-Yell/rebel-yell.html

The audio files accompanying this page were recorded by the general manager of WBT radio at a Sons of Confederate Veterans meeting in 1935 when Alexander was 90 years old. The interviewer spends several minutes with Alexander asking for the history of the Rebel Yell. Alexander, whose age makes it hard to understand him, replies that he first heard the yell at "Cold Harbor", apparently meaning the 1862 Seven Days Battle of Gaines Mill, which was sometimes called First Cold Harbor, which was his first battle. Alexander then says whenever the Yankees heard the Rebel Yell, "they would fly," meaning run away. The interviewer then asks all of the veterans in attendance to give the yell. They give several, controlled monosyllabic calls. Apparently, at some point later in the meeting, perhaps in a more private room as the sound quality seems to improve, the interviewer asks Alexander to give his own version of the yell.

Also, upon request from another forum (remember, I'm a total civil war, history geek) I multiplied the sound, adjusted pitches etc. to make it sound like 200 Rebels.. So you can hear what it might have sounded like during the Civil War.. Kind of cool. :)

http://www.blackbeardstruck.com/200_Rebels.mp3

Not the Billy Idol thread I was expecting.

(Seriously, that's interesting to hear what my great-great-great grandfather must have heard right before the Union army won at Gettysburg. I think a clip of that was in the Ken Burns thing.)

Not the Billy Idol thread I was expecting.

(Seriously, that's interesting to hear what my great-great-great grandfather must have heard right before the Union army won at Gettysburg. I think a clip of that was in the Ken Burns thing.)

Did you really have a confirmed Civil War veteran in your family? I been wanting to do some research to find out if I had one.

Confirmed, I don't know. I am just going by what my great-grandma used to tell me. Parts of my family have lived in the Hudson Valley for a long time, so I would not be surprised if there are more, but there has not been a ton of genealogical research done by us.

Confirmed, I don't know. I am just going by what my great-grandma used to tell me. Parts of my family have lived in the Hudson Valley for a long time, so I would not be surprised if there are more, but there has not been a ton of genealogical research done by us.

Well I'm sure your great-grandma was telling the truth.. That's very interesting. My family is all from Missouri (a Union state during the war) so it's also possible I have a relative. It would just be cool to find out for sure..

I do know for sure that my great, great, great, great Grandfather knew Jesse James.. He was actually almost killed by him because he beat him in a horse race (one for money of course).. If Jesse killed him, well there probably wouldn't be a Lamrod.. :) True story, that's been passed down..

Did you really have a confirmed Civil War veteran in your family? I been wanting to do some research to find out if I had one.

We have them confirmed on my side and my wife's side. On her side one of them had a book published with diary information compiled by relatives. Fought at Shiloh. On my side we had some on both sides. I have a dissassembled rifle carried by one of my union relatives. A burnside breach loader for those interested. My brothers got the swords...a sabre and two straight swords.

We have them confirmed on my side and my wife's side. On her side one of them had a book published with diary information compiled by relatives. Fought at Shiloh. On my side we had some on both sides. I have a dissassembled rifle carried by one of my union relatives. A burnside breach loader for those interested. My brothers got the swords...a sabre and two straight swords.

Very, very cool Mr. Smith. I'd love to see a pic of that rifle. :thumbup

Also for those interested, the guy that invented your rifle:

Ambrose Burnside's distinctive style of facial hair is now known as sideburns, derived from his last name.

You'll see why below:

tn_213Ambrose%20Burnside%20Union%20General.jpg

Very, very cool Mr. Smith. I'd love to see a pic of that rifle. :thumbup

Also for those interested, the guy that invented your rifle:

Ambrose Burnside's distinctive style of facial hair is now known as sideburns, derived from his last name.

You'll see why below:

tn_213Ambrose%20Burnside%20Union%20General.jpg

The thing is in two pieces the stock and the reciever. One of my dad's brothers shot the thing off inside their house putting a half inch hole through the roof. My grandmother took it apart and tossed the trigger/hammer etc... I've been torn between restoring it and leaving it the way it is as a conversation piece. My brother has a fully functioning one now though.

Burnside, inventor of weaponry and facial hair, and a poor to bad general at best.

BTW Rebel yell was not at all what I was expecting.

wow, this is really cool! my great-great grandfather fought for the Confederacy. he was captured towards the end of the war, though. once the war was over, he was released and drove a horse-drawn carriage all over NC for the rest of his life. I guess this was their "taxi" back then. his name was James W. Young. here's his pic:

1211506397_l.jpg

wow, this is really cool! my great-great grandfather fought for the Confederacy. he was captured towards the end of the war, though. once the war was over, he was released and drove a horse-drawn carriage all over NC for the rest of his life. I guess this was their "taxi" back then. his name was James W. Young. here's his pic:

1211506397_l.jpg

Very awesome. Thanks for sharing. :)

You are indeed a "Son of Confederate Veteran"

Don't know if you're as interested in the Revolutionary War as you are in the Civil War, but my great-great-great grandfather was part of the Continental Army and supplied guns for them. William Henry. Of possible note to people of this site, the Henry Homestead in Nazareth, PA was next door to the Martin Homestead, birthplace of Martin Guitars.

Don't know if you're as interested in the Revolutionary War as you are in the Civil War, but my great-great-great grandfather was part of the Continental Army and supplied guns for them. William Henry. Of possible note to people of this site, the Henry Homestead in Nazareth, PA was next door to the Martin Homestead, birthplace of Martin Guitars.

Wow, also very interesting. He even has his own wiki site.. Very cool Moe.

My great great grandfather and his two younger brother served in the 1st Texas Regiment and fought in every major engagement of the Army of Northern Virginia (except Chancellorsville).

Family History says they served to the bitter end at Appomatox.

At the Battle of Chicamauga, it is told that the three brothers shared a campfire with Pat Cleburne, the Anglo-Irish emigre General.

Someone on my father's side of the family (indirect lineage, brother to a greatn grandfather) died on the losing side of Pickett's Charge.

That Rebel yell thing is pretty freakin cool.

Wow! Pickett's charge is probably the most famous and interesting engagement of the war. I have studied it pretty extensively. Very cool caliber!

My great great grandfather and his two younger brother served in the 1st Texas Regiment and fought in every major engagement of the Army of Northern Virginia (except Chancellorsville).

Family History says they served to the bitter end at Appomatox.

At the Battle of Chicamauga, it is told that the three brothers shared a campfire with Pat Cleburne, the Anglo-Irish emigre General.

Now THAT is very cool.. The 1st Texas was said to be the toughest regiment.. They were elite troops of the Confederate Army.

Thanks for sharing guys. :)

Awesome thread. My great-great-great grandfather, Andrew Jackson Songer, fought for the Confederacy (unwillingly maybe, as his obituary linked below suggests). His arm was shattered at Petersburg, but fortunately he pulled through...Andrew Jackson begat John Tosh who begat Charles Eugene who begat another Charles Eugene who begat Victoria Anne, who is my mom. :D

The obit is an interesting read.

Awesome thread. My great-great-great grandfather, Andrew Jackson Songer, fought for the Confederacy (unwillingly maybe, as his obituary linked below suggests). His arm was shattered at Petersburg, but fortunately he pulled through...Andrew Jackson begat John Tosh who begat Charles Eugene who begat another Charles Eugene who begat Victoria Anne, who is my mom. :D

The obit is an interesting read.

wow, he seemed like a really cool guy! you're lucky to be related to him. that was a very interesting read, btw.