Link to full article (includes list of bands).

Legendary label comes up a unique blend of full-album downloads and single-track cherrypicking.

By Blurt Staff

It's an impressive back catalog by any measure - that of I.R.S. Records, which helped bring such artists as R.E.M., the Go-Gos, Let's Active and Wall of Voodoo to national prominence. But the label has been noticeably absent from the digital realm, leaving iPod-rocking fans clutching their battered vinyl and scratched up CDs, wondering when, if ever, they'd get to experience the I.R.S. era in a highly compressed audio format. Until now... read on.

Beginning February 10 and continuing until March 17, more than 100 albums and tracks from the celebrated vault of I.R.S. Records will make their digital release debuts. In an extensive, six-week online catalog campaign by Capitol/EMI, I.R.S. classics by The Fleshtones, Wall of Voodoo, Concrete Blonde, Oingo Boingo, The dB's, General Public, Stewart Copeland, Robbie Krieger, Tom Verlaine, and many others will be available for the first time for DRM-free download from all major digital service providers. Four new Best Of The I.R.S. Years digital collections will also be released, for The dB's, Over The Rhine, dada, and Dread Zeppelin.

Founded in 1979 by Miles Copeland and Jay Boberg, I.R.S. (International Record Syndicate) Records established itself as home base for an eclectic and cutting-edge roster of artists. While launching R.E.M., Concrete Blonde and The Go-Gos to international stardom, I.R.S. also championed many less-known but critically-acclaimed acts whose I.R.S. recordings continue to resonate today.