Son Volt - Chattanooga, TN 2/14/09

I am seeing them tonight, as well (The Neighborhood Theater is much better now that they have ripped out the permanent seats.).

I think the last time I saw them\Jay was around 2004 or so. They\he has been very good each time I have seen them. I have not kept up with the lineup changes or their albums lately.

Cool. I've never been to the Neighborhood Theater, but my friend going with me has. Last time I saw Son Volt was at the Visulite in 2007. Saw Old 97's there last year as well.

Cool. I've never been to the Neighborhood Theater, but my friend going with me has. Last time I saw Son Volt was at the Visulite in 2007. Saw Old 97's there last year as well.

I'd rather see them at the Visulite (that's the last place I saw them at). The setup at Neighborhood is a little strange. Originally, the idea was to have dual stages so as soon as one band ends their set, another band could immediately start playing. This has seldom been used the times I have been there and it's almost like about a third of the area is off to the side of the main stage. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

On the positive side, the sound is typically very good, they have a good selection of drinks at the bar, they have food from a good local deli if you get hungry and it's non-smoking (they let smokers go outside and re-enter so it works out pretty well for everyone).

I'd rather see them at the Visulite (that's the last place I saw them at). The setup at Neighborhood is a little strange. Originally, the idea was to have dual stages so as soon as one band ends their set, another band could immediately start playing. This has seldom been used the times I have been there and it's almost like about a third of the area is off to the side of the main stage. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

On the positive side, the sound is typically very good, they have a good selection of drinks at the bar, they have food from a good local deli if you get hungry and it's non-smoking (they let smokers go outside and re-enter so it works out pretty well for everyone).

Thanks for the info! I think we're going to try and do dinner before. My friend lives in Charlotte and suggested a few places. I can't recall the names now, but I know she said there was a pizza place across from the venue? I think another place was called Dish.

Thanks for the info! I think we're going to try and do dinner before. My friend lives in Charlotte and suggested a few places. I can't recall the names now, but I know she said there was a pizza place across from the venue? I think another place was called Dish.

Dish is in the Plaza Midwood area, which is a few miles from the NoDa (North Davidson) area, where the Neighborhood Theatre is located. Both areas are pretty cool small areas that are much funkier and less reserved than the rest of Charlotte. Dish is mainly southern comfort food (Chicken and Dumplings, Shrimp and Grits... both very good there) along with some other menu items. It's a good casual place to eat. If she is talking about the Pizza place across from Dish, she's probably talking about Fuel Pizza which has locations all over Charlotte and the one in Plaza Midwood is the original. I would classify it as NY style but they have have some non-traditional toppings. Next to Dish is Thomas St. Tavern, which is a good pub to have a drink at with both indoor and outdoor areas... The food there is pretty ehhh... Creation is another very good, eclectic place to eat in Plaza Midwood.

I don't know of any pizza place near the Neighborhood Theatre. If you want to eat near the Neighborhood Theatre, there is Boudreaux's, which is two doors down. Good Cajun food there, but service can be a little slow. In between the theatre and Boudreaux's is a small bar called "Sanctuary" which is a good casual place to grab a drink before the show. If you go to Noda.org, you will see some other places that are around the neighborhood theatre.

Dish is in the Plaza Midwood area, which is a few miles from the NoDa (North Davidson) area, where the Neighborhood Theatre is located. Both areas are pretty cool small areas that are much funkier and less reserved than the rest of Charlotte. Dish is mainly southern comfort food (Chicken and Dumplings, Shrimp and Grits... both very good there) along with some other menu items. It's a good casual place to eat. If she is talking about the Pizza place across from Dish, she's probably talking about Fuel Pizza which has locations all over Charlotte and the one in Plaza Midwood is the original. I would classify it as NY style but they have have some non-traditional toppings. Next to Dish is Thomas St. Tavern, which is a good pub to have a drink at with both indoor and outdoor areas... The food there is pretty ehhh... Creation is another very good, eclectic place to eat in Plaza Midwood.

I don't know of any pizza place near the Neighborhood Theatre. If you want to eat near the Neighborhood Theatre, there is Boudreaux's, which is two doors down. Good Cajun food there, but service can be a little slow. In between the theatre and Boudreaux's is a small bar called "Sanctuary" which is a good casual place to grab a drink before the show. If you go to Noda.org, you will see some other places that are around the neighborhood theatre.

Thanks so much for all the info. I'll mention these places to my friend. The pizza place she was talking about is called Revolution Pizza. Her email says it is across the street from the theater, but she could be confused since she's only lived in Charlotte for a few months. She also mentioned Alexander Michaels and Cabo Fish Taco, which I've been to and is yum!

I'm about to head up to Charlotte in a few. Hope you enjoy the show!

I cant believe I had to go to the second page to find a thread about SV...Whats wrong with you people?

They are tearing it up on this new tour... Jay has brought the twang back to the Volt... Not that it ever really left...

Cant wait to see Jay again next week... Denton wielcomes you with open arms my friend!!!

Now if we can just get Tweedy to make it down here!!!

BTW, Jay's board mentioned that someone yelled "Tweedy's a fag" during the opening night of the tour... Jay let the guy have it and gave him the bird! :thumbup

Isn't Alvin Youngblood Hart opening for Son Volt? How is he going over? He is a friend of a friend and a super nice guy. About 6' 8" and 300 lbs. A huge man and amazingly talented.

He was. Charlotte was his last stop on the tour and now he's heading over to Europe. I thought he was well-received but there weren't really too many people around for his set. When we walked into his set there were some people in the seats but only about 10 people standing in the open area in front of the stage. We were able to just walk right up to the stage.

He was. Charlotte was his last stop on the tour and now he's heading over to Europe. I thought he was well-received but there weren't really too many people around for his set. When we walked into his set there were some people in the seats but only about 10 people standing in the open area in front of the stage. We were able to just walk right up to the stage.

That sucks, he deserves a much bigger audience.

I cant believe I had to go to the second page to find a thread about SV...Whats wrong with you people?

They are tearing it up on this new tour... Jay has brought the twang back to the Volt... Not that it ever really left...

Cant wait to see Jay again next week... Denton wielcomes you with open arms my friend!!!

Now if we can just get Tweedy to make it down here!!!

BTW, Jay's board mentioned that someone yelled "Tweedy's a fag" during the opening night of the tour... Jay let the guy have it and gave him the bird! :thumbup

okay, this post got me a bit more psyched about jay. standing up for jeff is badass in my book! i'm going to listen to trace right now!

Yep, but I can't remember his name. My friend thought he looked like that french actor, Gerard something or other.

His name is Mark Spencer and yes he is the spitting image of Gerard Depardeu (sic) probably best known as the lead in the move Green Card...Spencer is playing keys, lap steel and for the very first time ever in public, Pedal Steel...This is the first time SV has had pedal steel in it's live sets since Eric Heywood joined them in the sudio and on tour many years ago.

His name is Mark Spencer and yes he is the spitting image of Gerard Depardeu (sic) probably best known as the lead in the move Green Card...Spencer is playing keys, lap steel and for the very first time ever in public, Pedal Steel...This is the first time SV has had pedal steel in it's live sets since Eric Heywood joined them in the sudio and on tour many years ago.

good to hear there isn't a full time keys player. that does not work for son volt in my opinion.

Yup, I love Son Volt. I haven't had the chance to see Jay perform in person yet, but I hope that changes with the upcoming album/tour. I don't care if he's a boring dude - I love the sound of his voice.

does anyone have a version of The Picture without horns that was on the Best Buy bonus disc? i can't seem to find it anywhere on the internets. sendspace?

The Best Buy version is kinda cool, but it sounds so empty to me without the horns (not that I'm totally in love with the horns either). What I really like are the live recordings I've heard where the horns are replaced with harmonica. Jay needs to make more use of the harmonica as far as I'm concerned!