Son Volt - Chattanooga, TN 2/14/09

There I said it, I'm going downtown right now.

I will once again enjoy another SV show.

I'm still a believer that The Search was the best album

of 2007.

Who has attended some recent shows? Word?

Have you heard any news of the May release (new) album?

Have a super KIND VD evening ya buncha FREAKS.

DS

I'm seeing them in Charlotte on Thursday. Pretty excited, considering I haven't seen them since May 2007. I wonder if they are playing any new songs on these dates.

:yes

about a 3rd of the set Saturday was new stuff, i'd say. it was all really great. It was really more of a low key show, a lot more slow/mid-tempo numbers, but really good. I was suprised there were no UT numbers...

here are my pics from the Chatt Show...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6213...120&l=dd7cc

P.S. DS, any way I can send you a B&P for the May '07 Chatt show?

Mark Spencer + Chris Masterson > Boquists

I agree. Not leaps and bounds greater but they are both formidable musicians. I have seen Mark with Jay before and Chris with Son Volt. I am really looking forward to seeing them both with the Volt on Saturday.

I'm venturing out to catch them at the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh tonight. (For my money, it's one of the best-sounding venues in the Raleigh/Durham area) This will be the 3rd time I've seen them there, but one of the shows was played out on the streets for a benefit for something or other.

Never saw them with the Boquist Bros., but Chris Masterson feckin' shreds on the guitar. He's not Nels Cline, but the guy can play the hell out of a guitar.

Cheers,

Kevin

I like Farrar quite a bit.

The more his album titles made me reach for a dictionary, the more I lost interest. But no doubt the guy still can write some great songs.

Son Volt/Jay Farrar/Gob Iron album titles:

Trace, Straightaways, Wide Swing Tremolo, A Retrospective 1995-2000, Sebastopol, Thirdshiftgrottoslack EP, Terroir Blues, Stone Steel and Bright Lights, Live EP, Live In Seattle, Afterglow 61 EP, Okemah And The Melody Of Riot, The Search, Death Songs For The Living.

I am curious (but not yellow). Which of these titles, other than possibly Terroir Blues, made you 'reach for a dictionary'?

Regain your interest. I'll bet that you'll still like him quite a bit. :cheers

I'm venturing out to catch them at the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh tonight. (For my money, it's one of the best-sounding venues in the Raleigh/Durham area) This will be the 3rd time I've seen them there, but one of the shows was played out on the streets for a benefit for something or other.

Never saw them with the Boquist Bros., but Chris Masterson feckin' shreds on the guitar. He's not Nels Cline, but the guy can play the hell out of a guitar.

Cheers,

Kevin

How was this show? I'm seeing them tonight.

I am seeing them tonight, as well (The Neighborhood Theater is much better now that they have ripped out the permanent seats.).

I think the last time I saw them\Jay was around 2004 or so. They\he has been very good each time I have seen them. I have not kept up with the lineup changes or their albums lately.