Got back from Kaua'i last week and while over there picked up a real nice tenor uke. Does anyone on the board have one and if so what songs do you do? I'm trying to build up my list. Any Wilco numbers done on the 'uke?

Its a pretty great little instrument! I am in love with the sound and the feel of it - i've been playing guitar for 15 plus years and it is different. The backround helps as with any string instrument. The uke makes you think differently and brings something out of me that doesn't normally happen on the guitar. (Not to say I would ever go uke over guitar - I'm glad I don't have to make that choice.) Anyways - was just trying to pick some members minds!

Got back from Kaua'i last week and while over there picked up a real nice tenor uke. Does anyone on the board have one and if so what songs do you do? I'm trying to build up my list. Any Wilco numbers done on the 'uke?

Got a uke last year but really have done nothing with it. I like Macca's version of "Something" on the Harrison tribute. There is that amazing version of "While my guitar gently weeps" on youtube. Since the strings are switched around and I have to re-learn all the chords I have been lazy about it. Isn't there an Eddie Vedder tune that's all uke? Anyways, not much help but would love to hear if others know some good tunes.

The uke is really not that hard to learn. I have a couple of songs down already. Like I said they bring out some things that the guitar does not for me. I'm currently working on Strawberry Fields, Something, I'll See You In My Dreams, Wild Horses, etc. Lots of really good resources out there on the ol' net for the uke. I've joined a couple of msg boards and all are super helpful!

That version of Gently Weeps is the Holy Grail for uke players. Jake is on another planet!

• 3 weeks later...

What song would you like to hear on the uke?

I tried Via Chicago and it didn't work. I have heard that you could capo the uke so we'll see what comes of that.

I just found out that I have to switch my low G to a high G. I'm gonna tackle Jake's version of "Gently Weeps". So we'll see how it goes.

Played it out with my band on the 12....its up on myspace at the link below....BreezyGrass...not a good copy but I played it out!!!

If you are into uke playing check out ukuleleunderground.com best place for all things ukes. Very comforting like VC is in some ways! Very very cool. Although rarely a mention of Wilco over there so I'm trying to balance that out! Lol!!! :lol

I haven't tried it out myself, but "How to fight loneliness" could work on the uke, given that the original kind of has that "Island strum" thing going on.

For a little inspiration, check out our town's resident ukulele band

Keep having fun with that Uke!

2950591271_4e0a6a17aa_m.jpg

Me, test-driving a coconut-body ukulele in Rarotonga

Go to the uke underground. They are awesome and there is a ton of stuff for those just starting out. I highly reccommend it - I post over there under the guise of aloha matty. Very original! :stunned

Played a show out on Friday with my band and played "I'll See You In My Dreams" and get a real nice reaction. Pretty cool to play out. I still have a way to go in building up a songbase.

Get to playin...