the songs that inspire(d) your favorite artist(s)

while listening to this CD from Uncut magazine called 'Drifter's Escape: The Music That Inspired Bob Dylan's 'John Wesley Harding' and 'Nashville Skyline,' I had the idea to start a thread where people can post lists of the songs that inspired their favorite musicians. a lot of us seem to dig the same music so this may be a good way to discover some unknown songs/ artists while at the same time gaining new insight into our favorite musicians. I'll start by adding the track list to that Uncut Dylan disc...

Drifter's Escape: The Music That Inspired Bob Dylan's 'John Wesley Harding' and 'Nashville Skyline'

1. Hank Williams- I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive

2. Johnny Cash- Train Of Love

3. The Carter Family- John Hardy Was A Desperate Little Man

4. Jerry Lee Lewis- Deep Elm Blues

5. Elvis Presley- Blue Moon

6. Clarence "Tom" Ashley- The Coo Coo Bird

7. Carl Perkins- Matchbox

8. Bill Monroe- Blue Moon Of Kentucky

9. Woody Guthrie- Pretty Boy Floyd

10. The Delmore Brothers- I'm Lonesome Without You

11. Richard "Rabbit" Brown- James Alley Blues

12. Hank Thompson- The Wild Side Of Life

13. The Louvin Brothers- When I Stop Dreaming

14. Lefty Frizzell- Lost Love Blues

15. Woody Guthrie- I Ain't Got No Home In This World Anymore

Good idea for a thread. I'll see if I can find something substantial to add to this. From an interview, not from my own distorted recollections.

I once read an interview with Kurt Kirkwood (Meat Puppets) where he extolled the virtues of:

ZZ Top

Said that Billy Gibbons was one of his favorite guitar players.

Don't remember any specific songs, but I thought that one was interesting.

I once read an interview with Kurt Kirkwood (Meat Puppets) where he extolled the virtues of:

ZZ Top

Said that Billy Gibbons was one of his favorite guitar players.

Don't remember any specific songs, but I thought that one was interesting.

Huevos is pretty much a ZZ Top tribute album.

Huevos is pretty much a ZZ Top tribute album.

Agreed. And the interview came out about the same time as that album -- in Guitar Player Magazine.

(Actually, reading that very article is what gave me the notion to check out music outside of the mainstream, in the first place!)

Speaking of Coltrane...

I also remember reading that Roger McGuinn's guitar part on "Eight Miles High" was inspired by Coltrane.

He said that he was trying to approximate the sound of the clacking valves on a saxophone with the way he attacked the strings on his 12-string, especially during that fast part after the main melody during the guitar motif.

Off the top of my head, some of Trey Anastasio's influences: Genesis, Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia, Kevin Shields/MBV, Robert Fripp/King Crimson, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Duke Ellington, Duane Allman/Allman Brothers, Johann Sebastian Bach, Kurt Cobain/Nirvana, Pavement, King Sunny Ade. The list goes on and on, but those are the ones I think of and remember him talking about specifically.

Speaking of Coltrane...

I also remember reading that Roger McGuinn's guitar part on "Eight Miles High" was inspired by Coltrane.

He said that he was trying to approximate the sound of the clacking valves on a saxophone with the way he attacked the strings on his 12-string, especially during that fast part after the main melody during the guitar motif.

I think Coltrane (at least the Coltrane that recorded Ascension) would've appreciated Husker Du's cover of Eight Miles High.

I know Garcia was a huge fan of Clarence White, and his work in bluegrass and with The Byrds. I don't think it's a coincidence that not long after Clarence joined The Byrds The Dead went from being an acid-soaked SF band to an Americana-styled rootsy band with "Workingman's" and "Beauty".