Michael Jackson's London Run

Not much of a fan of his, but I would be hard pressed to name another performer who could do this.

Michael Jackson's 50 dates at London's O2 arena sell out

The King of Pop's residency has completely sold out in just a few hours with fans snapping up more than a million tickets

Comments (1)

Rosie Swash

guardian.co.uk, Friday 13 March 2009 13.17 GMT

Tickets for Michael Jackson's 50 live dates at London's O2 arena have sold out, meaning that a staggering one million tickets to see the singer have been bought in a matter of hours.

Dates for the summer residency, beginning on 8 July, had been extended to 50 nights

I wonder if he could still do this in the U.S. Probably, I guess.

When I lived in London (1988) he was absurdly popular there. He was in town at one point, and as I was out walking I came upon a huge crowd of people in the street. I asked someone what was going on and she said that they were expecting Michael Jackson to emerge from the building across the street at any moment.

So, I hung around for a few minutes. Then in a flash, he was out the door and into a vehicle. I saw him for what was probably less than a second.

...and that was enough. I have enormous respect for the Thriller album -- it's a pretty amazing piece of pop -- but aside from that I can't say I was ever a fan (though I do like some old Jackson 5 stuff).

Jackson confirmed details of his O2 arena residency last week with the words: "When I say this is it, I mean this is it," prompting many to question whether this will be his farewell tour.

Who wouldn't take Michael's word for it.

At the same time, I would have never have guessed he could sell 50 dates. Jeepers. I smell a rat.

I don't think it is too crazy. After all Bruce Springsteen sold 10 dates at Giants Stadium in NJ in 2003 a few hours That is over 700,000 tickets. Jackson doesn't tour much and he has a huge following in Europe. The prices of his tickets at face cost don't exceed 75 Pounds which in my mind is shockigly cheap. I figured he would charge 250+ for best seats. I wonder how many dates he will make it through and what percentage of the show will be lipsynched?