the tech support thread

I figured I'd start this thread for general tech-support kind of stuff, but of course it's been prompted by a specific issue I'm having with my home computer.

I have a Dell XPS something-or-other desktop PC with a sound system that features a subwoofer, center speaker attached to the monitor, and front and rear left/right speakers. The center speaker has a volume control knob, and there is also a remote sensor (separate unit) that picks up signals from a remote control, which can also be used to adjust the volume.

Sometime recently, my speakers began making really annoying popping sounds, and the volume control knob on the center speaker ceased to work, except to turn the sound system on or off. The popping seems to get worse when I do certain things (e.g., we have a game installed called Peggle, and whenever it's being played, the popping is worse and more frequent).

When the computer is sitting unused with the speakers are turned on, there might be popping and there might not. It seems to depend on the system's mood that day.

The knob on the center speaker used to be my main method of adjusting volume, but now its function has been reduced to that of an on/off toggle, and turning it "up" or "down" has no effect on actual volume. The most effective way to adjust speaker volume is to use the remote control, which still works fine.

Does this issue sound familiar to anyone? Or does anyone recognize something in my description that may point to the source of the issue?

As I've been typing this, I've begun to wonder whether the knob in the center speaker has a mechanical problem -- perhaps there's a short circuit or something that's causing the popping and that is preventing the knob from functioning as a volume control. If so, that might be preferable to a sound card problem, though I don't know if I can easily replace that speaker (it was part of a set with the other speakers). I haven't yet looked to see whether I can remove that center speaker while keeping the other ones active -- perhaps that's my next move.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

I have a dell dimension with what sounds like the same speaker system. It has started crapping out on my too. No problems with the volume knob, but one of the speakers doesn't make any sound, and if I turn the surround sound effect off (in my volume panel), then none of the speakers work at all.

Do you have another pair of speakers you could try? Maybe go out and get some of the cheapest ones you can find, for like $10, and hook those up. If the popping is there still, then the problem resides in the sound card. If not -- it's likely the speakers.

I'll be you just have a short in the volume control.

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

I just downloaded the newest version of avg anti virus 9. something or other. Ever since my computer has been really slow. It lags out even when I am only using Microsoft word,and no other programs. When I am on the Internet with wither opera or firefox it is even slower. I have never had any trouble in the past with this type of high cpu usage.avgcsrvx.exe and avgchsvx.exe seem to be the main culprits of the high cpu. The avg forums are very specific and the moderators there are not very helpful. I have a dell inspiron e1705 four years old windows xp 997mhz and .99gb RAM any advice would be great.

Hey all,

I just downloaded the newest version of avg anti virus 9. something or other. Ever since my computer has been really slow. It lags out even when I am only using Microsoft word,and no other programs. When I am on the Internet with wither opera or firefox it is even slower. I have never had any trouble in the past with this type of high cpu usage.avgcsrvx.exe and avgchsvx.exe seem to be the main culprits of the high cpu. The avg forums are very specific and the moderators there are not very helpful. I have a dell inspiron e1705 four years old windows xp 997mhz and .99gb RAM any advice would be great.

It could be the web and email scanner option. Do you have those things turned on? I turned those off when I was using AVG.

I am now using Microsoft Security Essentials. I have used all most all of the free ones.

I have spent many hours troubleshooting anti-virus programs. It is not fun.

Guest Speed Racer

Hey all,

I just downloaded the newest version of avg anti virus 9. something or other. Ever since my computer has been really slow.

I have a dell inspiron e1705 four years old windows xp 997mhz and .99gb RAM any advice would be great.

Shot in the dark, but I'll bet that the newest version of avg is made for a beefier computer than yours, and simply the program itself could be dragging your computer down. Basically, you have a program that's constantly running on an already little (by today's standards) engine, so when you try to do anything else, your computer is already running on less because it's also busy virus searching.

It could be the web and email scanner option. Do you have those things turned on? I turned those off when I was using AVG.

I am now using Microsoft Security Essentials. I have used all most all of the free ones.

I have spent many hours troubleshooting anti-virus programs. It is not fun.

I'd recommend MSE over AVG as well. It's actually a really decent anti-virus program, and AVG has become increasingly bloated the last several releases.

I'd recommend MSE over AVG as well. It's actually a really decent anti-virus program, and AVG has become increasingly bloated the last several releases.

I began using that due to the fact that AVG would not update. I spent some time trying to figure out why for the second or third time, I think.

I finally found out that something had been changed in my registry, and therefore, AVG updates, and Windows Updates would not work.

I had never messed with registry stuff before, so that was something new.

I fixed it, but decided to stay with MSE for the time being.

Guest Speed Racer

I use Avast!, and I've never had a problem. Free, smooth operation. The only time I had full Norton I got a Trojan horse that ruined my computer - just destroyed it.

I have used McAfee (came with the computer), Avast!, Avira, Norton, AVG, Kaspersky, and now Microsoft Security Essentials.

My computer is now five years old, and out of date.

Another thing I learned, by way of some dude's site (The Elder Geek), was to turn off a lot of start-up and services stuff. You have to proceed with caution though.

Also - even though I really liked it, I got rid of my Ashampoo firewall. Although I had rules made for things, it was causing problems.

I would recommend most antivirus packages over Mcafee or Norton. For the cost they simply are not effective. There are free alternatives, Microsoft security essentials, avast, avg, avira, which have just as good if not better detection rates. And if you're bent on paying nod32 or Kapersky are both better alternatives. Nevermind the fact that Mcafee & Norton seem to cause way too much system overhead for an antivirus program.

Yeah I work in IT and I definitely recommend MSE. We use McAfee here and it's junk.. Takes up WAY too many system resources, and really isn't good about detecting virus's until it's too late.

MSE - What better antivirus to use that cleans virus's made to attack Microsoft Windows, than an antivirus made by Microsoft?

I use the ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, or whatever it's called. It's not free, but it seems to work well.

I just re-read this thread. It's pretty sad that I still haven't done anything about the issue that I first posted ... though I did recently confirm that the speakers aren't the problem. So I guess I should replace my sound card. :hmm

Don't believe there's a 100 % working Proggy :IMHO Avast Pro is the best there is (exept maybye for Nod 32 but that's unfriendly one for P2P)

At this moment running "Spy Ware Doctor" And weekly "Malware Bytes" as well as "Super Anti Spyware" All free software and never ever had any issues (Torrent,Blogs,Scene,Ru Sites Etc ) "So Hit Me Man Hit Me" would be new to me.

Guest Speed Racer

Some kind of malware tried to get onto my computer while I was using it one, with Avast!, and watching the machine take care of it was like watching a National Geographic Special with a super-mega-insect battle.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Shot in the dark, but I'll bet that the newest version of avg is made for a beefier computer than yours, and simply the program itself could be dragging your computer down. Basically, you have a program that's constantly running on an already little (by today's standards) engine, so when you try to do anything else, your computer is already running on less because it's also busy virus searching.

This is what I was most concerned about.

As far as Avast goes, is it a full security suite? I downloaded the free version, but do not want to get rid of my avg, despite the problems, unless I am protected.

Thanks everyone for your help.

This is what I was most concerned about.

As far as Avast goes, is it a full security suite? I downloaded the free version, but do not want to get rid of my avg, despite the problems, unless I am protected.

Are you on a home network? If you are you have a hardware firewall which is just as good as any additional firewall. If you still want firewall protection just use windows firewall which comes with Windows. The free version of Avast is just antivirus/antimalware. What else were you looking for?

• 1 month later...

So, the kids have managed to infect two of our PC's with AV Security Suite. One much worse than the other. Plan A is to use Spyware Doctor to clean it up, and install Avast to keep a better eye on things.

Sound like a good plan to anyone?

thanks,

• 4 months later...

hey ashtray,

I am not sure what Av secuity suite is, but I hope you got rid of it if it is bad. I would suggest also getting glary utilities to help clean up and stay cleaned up. I love it. It is not really security software but does scan your computer and gets rid of all the left over junk on it.

Anyway, I am at my parents and every time I click on a link from my speed dial, ( I use opera) it goes to a searchassist.teoma page. Even if I type in something into the address bar it still goes there. Any ideas about how to get rid of this? Maybe it will go away once I am off my parents network.

So, the kids have managed to infect two of our PC's with AV Security Suite. One much worse than the other. Plan A is to use Spyware Doctor to clean it up, and install Avast to keep a better eye on things.

Sound like a good plan to anyone?

thanks,

I'd recommend Microsoft's Security Essentials. It's free and is actually a very good program, which I never thought I'd say about Microsoft. And check out this site for AV Security Suite removal: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-av-security-suite