Phillies announcer Harry Kalas dead at 73

By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Sports Writer

WASHINGTON (AP)

Just got home from the phils/Nats game w/ my son. Prior to the game there was a moment of sllence for Nick Adenhart, the Angels pitcher from Silver Spring MD. Then the jumbo tron put a huge picture of Harry up, I looked at my son and said "Oh Shit", then the announcement came....

Harry was on the tube or radio for every Phils game I ever remember. What a huge loss to the Philly community and sportsfans everywhere.

Prayers to the family.

As a life long Phillies fan and season ticket holder this news hit me hard today. Harry's voice has been a staple in my life as long as I can remember. As a kid, before the internet, I remember huddling in the kitchen with my father listening to Harry's call of the Phillies games. Despite living in CT the Phils station back then - WOGO has a 50,000 watt transmission and everynight around 8pm we could pick up the games. Radio waves can travel insane distances at night especially over water. This is an extremely sad day in the world of sports broadcasting. Harry had one of the greatest voices ever to broadcast over the air. You did not have to be a Phillies fan huddled around a radio (or more recently a computer) to get a taste of his voice - he was also the voice of NFL Films and more recently Campbells Chunky Soup. Everyone should listen to his call of Mike Scmidt's 500th home run or the Phil's first world championship in 1980. I worked with his son, Todd, at WFAN in New York in the early 90's and got to meet Harry twice. He was a sweet man who was happy to talk Phils baseball with anybody. He will be very much missed.

There is a short, but nice tribute to Harry Kalas on the Phillies website:

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/...sp&c_id=phi

"that ball is OOOUUTTTTAA HERE ! "

I just saw the photo of the two 'bobbleheads' and it made me laugh. Both times I met Harry he was wearing a light colored sports coat and the signature white loafers. A classic style that I hope to pull off someday (when I am retired in Florida).

ESPN's video tribute:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4064793

ESPN is such a joke. To open the 11pm Sports Center (which has sucked for years) with NBA just is not right.

Wow - we lost Mark 'the bird' Fidrych today as well.