Ashes DVD, RE: Tulsa Banter

As a Tulsan...I am proud as hell that Wilco chose Cain's as one of the venues to memorialize their performances....I was there. It was an amazing show..the best Wilco show I've been to anywhere.

The only thing that disappointed me about the DVD, and only those at the Tulsa show would know it, is that the quote Jeff makes about being on steroids was at the Tulsa show, not the Nashville show, and the DVD is edited to make it look otherwise. I wouldn't care normally, but it was a somewhat of a highlight moment in terms of banter... The doctor examining Jeff during the film is doing so in the back room of Cain's.

Nitpicky, I know...I know how film editing works, and it worked for the narrative of the overall film...but I just had to put it out there.

Otherwise, an insightful overview of the band at that moment in time, and, clearly, some amazing performances in all of the cities shown.

maybe he said that comment at both shows?

I'll listen to the Tulsa bootleg...but I am pretty sure it was the exact quote. Maybe someone who has heard the Ryman show could weigh in?

Edit: Just checked. It is from the Tulsa show. Between Impossible Germany and Handshake Drugs.

As a Tulsan...I am proud as hell that Wilco chose Cain's as one of the venues to memorialize their performances....I was there. It was an amazing show..the best Wilco show I've been to anywhere.

The only thing that disappointed me about the DVD, and only those at the Tulsa show would know it, is that the quote Jeff makes about being on steroids was at the Tulsa show, not the Nashville show, and the DVD is edited to make it look otherwise. I wouldn't care normally, but it was a somewhat of a highlight moment in terms of banter... The doctor examining Jeff during the film is doing so in the back room of Cain's.

Nitpicky, I know...I know how film editing works, and it worked for the narrative of the overall film...but I just had to put it out there.

Otherwise, an insightful overview of the band at that moment in time, and, clearly, some amazing performances in all of the cities shown.

I thought it was a bad edit, too. I also wish they would have included more on the history of Cain's, like they did with Tipitina's. And they didn't show any crowd shots in Tulsa like they did with other venues. Guess we were too ugly? But hey, still an awesome DVD.

I thought it was a bad edit, too. I also wish they would have included more on the history of Cain's, like they did with Tipitina's. And they didn't show any crowd shots in Tulsa like they did with other venues. Guess we were too ugly? But hey, still an awesome DVD.

I wouldn't go that far. The entire opening sequence was of Cain's/Tulsa. Rewatch that soundcheck of Ashes... I thought it was an incredible tribute to the place. I just noticed that small edit. Otherwise...I thought it was excellent. The bonus material was great too...the Woody Guthrie/Oklahoma connection... We love you in Tulsa Wilco!

Even though you are forcing me to step foot in OKC this spring to see you...

The entire opening sequence was of Cain's/Tulsa. Rewatch that soundcheck of Ashes...

True. I was just looking for myself in the front row and they didn't show any crowd shots inside the venue. The soundcheck was beautifully shot. Wish I had been in there at that time.

Even though you are forcing me to step foot in OKC this spring to see you...

Bricktown Events Center is no Cain's, but I'm glad for once I don't have to take the turnpike for a show.

Loved the dvd!! but as one of the front row viewers at the Cain's show, I've got to say that the editing on that little banter disappointed me too. I thought the opening song with the sound check of Ashes did an amazing job of giving a feel for Cain's though. What I wouldn't have given to have been inside the building for that...

Figured this would be as good a place as any to air my "Record Store Day" DVD rant ... :crybaby

Okay, which of you Okie VCers bought one of the 8 -- THAT'S EIGHT, AS IN SINGLE DIGITS -- Ashes DVDs shipped to Starship Records in Tulsa for Saturday's special pre-sale?

By the time I got to town for another event (2 pm or so), I called the store and they said they were sold out. I asked how many they had, and the nice lady on the phone said eight. I'm not surprised the DVD was popular (and I'm happy for the folks who got them Saturday), but to send a handful of copies to city of 400,000 people is a little lame. :thumbdown

Same goes for Guestroom Records in OKC, but I don't know how many they had available. By the time my friend got there, they were also out. Calls to other RSD participants in both towns revealed that those shops didn't even get the DVD at all.

(SIGH). Guess I'll just wait a week and go to Hasting's. :frusty

just wanted to say hello to all the okies,i too am one...too bad i live in a small town that has nothing, i do go to hastings but it's almost 30 miles away lol i am proud they are starting to come here more and caines was added to the dvd, to bad i didn't get to make it.

Figured this would be as good a place as any to air my "Record Store Day" DVD rant ... :crybaby

Okay, which of you Okie VCers bought one of the 8 -- THAT'S EIGHT, AS IN SINGLE DIGITS -- Ashes DVDs shipped to Starship Records in Tulsa for Saturday's special pre-sale?

By the time I got to town for another event (2 pm or so), I called the store and they said they were sold out. I asked how many they had, and the nice lady on the phone said eight. I'm not surprised the DVD was popular (and I'm happy for the folks who got them Saturday), but to send a handful of copies to city of 400,000 people is a little lame. :thumbdown

Same goes for Guestroom Records in OKC, but I don't know how many they had available. By the time my friend got there, they were also out. Calls to other RSD participants in both towns revealed that those shops didn't even get the DVD at all.

(SIGH). Guess I'll just wait a week and go to Hasting's. :frusty

8? That's ridiculous. I got one on Friday night from..._____ship records!! Not sure I should be saying that because I don't want to get them in trouble ;) But I called them Friday around 8:00 and asked if they were going to have it Saturday. The guy was like "uhh, we might have some left by then. you might just want to stop in tonight and see what we have." At first I thought he'd misunderstood what I was asking and the he said, "just come tonight."

So, I did. And I guess I got one of the 8...Hope you find one soon. I can share mine!

Bricktown Events Center is no Cain's, but I'm glad for once I don't have to take the turnpike for a show.

If I lived in Bricktown, I'd still rather make the trip up to Tulsa to see 'em at Cain's.

Bricktown Events Center is a dump.