Wilco at Pukkelpop Festival

I love Belguim! If my wife and I ever win millions in a slip and fall case, we are moving to Brugge. What a beautiful city. We have been there 3 times. We can't go to Europe without a stop in Bruges. The countryside of Belgium makes for the perfect bike ride. And we a re serious beer lovers. If not for the recession, we'd be there for Wilco! Well, no we wouldn't. We are back to teaching on the 17th.

Carry on. :shy

They anncounced that like a month ago. :dontgetit

Correct, but the festival is 4 days and they did not disclose the exact date until today.

And Wilcoworld still haven't this show listed as of yet.

Seriously, Bruges is just one big tourist trap. ;)

:lol We do it like a local.

I am eating mussels for lunch right now! Haha!

Seriously, Bruges is just one big tourist trap. ;)

Yeah, Gent is much nicer and far fewer busloads of tourists. Plus Wilco played a terrific show there at the Vooruit a few years ago, the place was packed. Pukkelpop is fun but I prefer club gigs to the festivals....

Okay, theremin put a wink face but now I feel the need to defend Brugge! HA! Gent is very cool and Bruges does have lots of tourists but we just avoid the tourists and blend in. A great vibe. Sorry to threadjack. It is had for me to not discuss Belgium and Bruges. :)

Okay, theremin put a wink face but now I feel the need to defend Brugge! HA! Gent is very cool and Bruges does have lots of tourists but we just avoid the tourists and blend in. A great vibe. Sorry to threadjack. It is had for me to not discuss Belgium and Bruges. :)

Ya, but the local vibe in Bruges is kinda defined by lots of local old people (it's like the Florida of Belgium) and Japanese tourists with oversized camera's. Well, that's the way people in Belgium usually regard it anyway (except the ones who actually are from Bruges of course).

Ghent is indeed the real deal, it has actually no less of the medival history stuff but at least you don't feel like walking into a gigantic open air museum. :)

...at least you don't feel like walking into a gigantic open air museum. :)

That reminds me of that story my sister in law told me recently after she's been in Brugge :

Two American tourists visiting Brugge asked her about the city closing time...like it were some kind of fake Disney entertainment park :no...:lol !

Samuel

That reminds me of that story my sister in law told me recently after she's been in Brugge :

Two American tourists visiting Brugge asked her about the city closing time...like it were some kind of fake Disney entertainment park :no...:lol !

Samuel

Haha, brilliant. :lol

@Howjado: those things are typically Belgian in general, well except maybe for the pies.

You guys are very nice and welcoming to someone that digs Belgium! :D My wife and I are Rick Steves devotees and travel local and 'close to the ground'. We enjoy Bruges the same way.

I would have said something along the lines of, "Glad to hear that you have discovered the charms of Belgium. Have you ever been to Gent? If not, check it out because if you like Brugge, you'll like Gent. It has the medieval history but is not as touristed." But obviously, we are different people!

I live in Florida and the 'old people' descriptor is as silly for the F L A as my experience says that it is for the B E L. The next time that we are in your excellent country, I will contact you. I'd enjoy buying you each a beer. :beer

Just avoid Liege. What a pit. Some locals tried to run us over on our bikes there some years back. Maybe it's changed, but the river looked like poop, it was so polluted.

(I generally loved Belgium though, don't get me wrong - some of those hills in the east were killer on a bike, and oh, the carbo loading with beer for the next days biking was pretty nice as well)