Eligible for a new phone from Verizon

I'm pretty happy having a RAZR flip phone, and I don't use it very much, but I'm tired of texting using the numerical keypad when I do. I like the fact that a flip phone is shaped like a traditional phone and i"m able to cradle it between my ear and my shoulder. That's the thing I don't like about iPhones and similar phones...they just don't seem comfortable to use. I do like the touchscreen though, as long as it's not super sensitive (I had a Chocolate phone for a while and returned it because it was so poorly designed and I kept hitting the touchscreen button and calling people by accident). Are the screens more intuitive to that now? Do you just get used to the new shape after a while?

I'm pretty happy having a RAZR flip phone, and I don't use it very much, but I'm tired of texting using the numerical keypad when I do. I like the fact that a flip phone is shaped like a traditional phone and i"m able to cradle it between my ear and my shoulder. That's the thing I don't like about iPhones and similar phones...they just don't seem comfortable to use. I do like the touchscreen though, as long as it's not super sensitive (I had a Chocolate phone for a while and returned it because it was so poorly designed and I kept hitting the touchscreen button and calling people by accident). Are the screens more intuitive to that now? Do you just get used to the new shape after a while?

I have an LG Dare and absolutely love it. I have heard good things about the new KRAVE by motorolla; it is a meld of a flip phone and a touch screen phone. i think it gives you the best of both worlds, the traditional phone shape from the flip, but a touch screen that gets you a supposedly intuitive full keyboard. The camera and calendar are supposed to be lacking in it.

With my Dare, I am able to do pretty much everything an iPhone can do, except be cool and get apps from the app store. Plus it has video capabilities and the highest quality megapixel wise camera available in a phone. It will even sync with your outlook calendar, emails, etc (or ical and mail program). The only downside gripe about the Dare that I have is that apparently LGs bluetooth technology is not the universal standard and the phone refuses to transfer the phone contact list into the onboard computer in my MINI. LGs bluetooth does not play well with others according to the research I have done.

It took me a few weeks to get used to the shape, but once I did, it made perfectly good sense. I also found that the speaker phone is really good. I have no problems hearing people and they seem to hear me fine. That's my solution to the shoulder cradle problem.

Guest Speed Racer

I have an iPod touch; if I had anywhere near the kind of money to spend per month for iPhone service, I would ditch the cell and the iPod for an iPhone in a second.

I have a basic LG VX5500 does-what-it-needs-to flip phone that works fine and ain't too bulky. Also survived a swim through a toilet, so yay.

I'll admit a bias against touchscreens, but it doesn't change the fact that the Blackberry Storm simply sucks so I would cross that off your list. The software was slow in my experience, and the screen just didn't feel right. Plus it felt like it was a cheap phone as well. I know several people with the EnV2, and they all are fairly happy. Also one friend has the LG Dare (a touchscreen) and she likes it a lot as well.

I have verizon too and I've been eligible for a new phone for like 2 years, but honestly just haven't seen one that's worth getting :-/ I'm still using the very first LG V from 2006!

The only downside gripe about the Dare that I have is that apparently LGs bluetooth technology is not the universal standard and the phone refuses to transfer the phone contact list into the onboard computer in my MINI. LGs bluetooth does not play well with others according to the research I have done.

I always thought it was Verizon crippling the bluetooth technology. They've always limited the bluetooth functions available on their phones to try to force people to go through Get it Now and all that fun stuff.

I always thought it was Verizon crippling the bluetooth technology. They've always limited the bluetooth functions available on their phones to try to force people to go through Get it Now and all that fun stuff.

I went through all sorts of annoyingness trying to get the Dare to work with the Bluetooth in the car. according to the MINI Cooper people it is LG not playing nice and the problem is not Verizon. Verizon updated the software on my phone to help fix the bluetooth problems and it actually worked, except for the addressbook not transferring. I had a Motorolla prior to the Dare and it worked beautifully with the MINI. I also found out during the whole escapade that Trios don't like to cooperate with anything and are worse than LGs when it comes to their bluetooth technology. I would not believe anything Verizon or LG said about the problem. The LG person told me that that was just the way it goes, her LGs bluetooth didn't work properly in her car either and I should be ok with that shortcoming since everyone else is.

All of that said, I really do like the Dare. And I tried really hard to hold out for an iPhone, but I refuse to switch off of the Verizon network. AT&T phones won't work in my apartment (or on the Metro).

If you do get a new phone and have a car with bluetooth, double-check the compatibility between the two. I had no idea that some bluetooth devices just don't work with other bluetooth devices.

I agree about the Blackberry Storm.

Thanks for the in depth responses, guys! I'll look into everything you've mentioned. My husband has the Dare and he doesn't really like it because he doesn't think it gets as strong a signal as his old flip LG. The KRAVE sounds right up my alley but I'll do some more research.

I have an iPod Touch too, and although I think it's the coolest thing ever I'm not sure I'd be comfortable holding it up to my ear and talking on it.

The LG person told me that that was just the way it goes, her LGs bluetooth didn't work properly in her car either and I should be ok with that shortcoming since everyone else is.

Hahah. You should've asked if she thought about trying a Nokia or something :)

Thanks for the in depth responses, guys! I'll look into everything you've mentioned. My husband has the Dare and he doesn't really like it because he doesn't think it gets as strong a signal as his old flip LG. The KRAVE sounds right up my alley but I'll do some more research.

I have an iPod Touch too, and although I think it's the coolest thing ever I'm not sure I'd be comfortable holding it up to my ear and talking on it.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/15/motorol...review-roundup/

Here's a collection of reviews on the Krave. I've always had mixed results with motorola.

Guest Speed Racer

Are you kidding? When I'm around a big group of hipsters I stand around with that iPod up to my ear, yapping away just for the street cred. Easier than you think. :lol

I have Verizon and have had my current flip phone over 5 years (!!!). So, my company gets a 22% discount with Verizon and the rep was at my office the other day... I ended up getting 2 Blackberry Curve 8330s. They have a promotion right now for buy one get one free, $170 with a $70 rebate. I'd read some pretty decent reviews but I can't say what it's like because it just come in the mail today and it is busy charging before I can activate it.

I have the same feeling about flip phones... I like to be able to hold it to my ear with my shoulder. BUT, I just had to move into the current times so hopefully this all works out.

I have the same feeling about flip phones... I like to be able to hold it to my ear with my shoulder. BUT, I just had to move into the current times so hopefully this all works out.

Vibes!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/15/motorol...review-roundup/

Here's a collection of reviews on the Krave. I've always had mixed results with motorola.

:lol Someone said it reminded them of the Star Trek communicator and he's right!!

I am on Verizon, but haven't seen anything worth upgrading to. My phone is from maybe 2004? 2005? Big and stupid, but amazing in every way. I can't imagine I will ever own a phone half as good (as a phone). It's some sort of Audiovox phone. I don't even think they make phones anymore. But it's great. I met a kid at a wedding recently who had my phone, and he was the only other person I had ever seen with it. He, too, would not get rid of it despite being doubly worthy of an upgrade because it is amazing.

My next phone will be an iPhone, but I need several jobs first.

I am on Verizon, but haven't seen anything worth upgrading to. My phone is from maybe 2004? 2005? Big and stupid, but amazing in every way. I can't imagine I will ever own a phone half as good (as a phone). It's some sort of Audiovox phone. I don't even think they make phones anymore. But it's great. I met a kid at a wedding recently who had my phone, and he was the only other person I had ever seen with it. He, too, would not get rid of it despite being doubly worthy of an upgrade because it is amazing.

My next phone will be an iPhone, but I need several jobs first.

That's honestly how I feel. I have the original V, and it does what I need perfectly. I actually wish it didn't even have the keyboard because I don't use the internet on it, and can text faster/one-handed with t9 on the outside. So when I look at upgrading I see a bunch of phones that are smart phones/blackberries & would require an internet plan or are touch screen, and none of that does anything for me.

That's honestly how I feel. I have the original V, and it does what I need perfectly. I actually wish it didn't even have the keyboard because I don't use the internet on it, and can text faster/one-handed with t9 on the outside. So when I look at upgrading I see a bunch of phones that are smart phones/blackberries & would require an internet plan or are touch screen, and none of that does anything for me.

You're a super fast texter.....you do that on a numeric keypad???

With T9, all things are possible...until you have to hit "Next" 50 times to find the word you're looking for.

I have the Chocolate, I think it's the most recent version so I haven't had problems with my phone randomly contacting others. The keys are a little small since it's just a sliding phone but it's not too hard to adapt. And I don't use any internet functions or anything, so this phone works. But speaking of phones I am tempted to get a Blackberry soon.

Predictive texting is a super pain in the arse. I prefer just plain characters. Has the texting bug only hit America? I know US tourists over here who were amazed at the fact that everyone texts and it's second nature. One handed, without looking...hit send and that sucker is gone!

I have a Sony Ericsson V640i and while it is serviceable and ok I would love a swish new phone.

sony-ericsson-v640i.jpg

I got my other half this one for her birthday and it is a cool bit of kit.

samsung-tocco-samsung-f480-cool-cell-phones-2.gif

Haha yeah! :lol I'm just so used to T9 that it's second nature at this point. I even know when I have to hit next & how many times to get to certain more common words. I'm deathly afraid of touchscreen or full keyboards because with my thumb on the 5 i know where every key I need to hit is without looking.