Gigs with a horn section

When Wilco plays shows with a horn section, is it exclusively with the Total Pros or will they sometimes farm out the horn gig locally?

I think that the addition of horns on stage really compliments the band's sound and brings a higher level of energy to the show. I would love to see them live with a horn section and am wondering what my chances are of getting to see that this summer (I'm seeing them in El Paso, Tucson, and Los Angeles).

Does anyone have any info about the circumstances under which they use horns? It would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, (ok 2nd time to try and post this for you...VC has been having its problems..next time I should copy my text before posting)....

OK

I know that Calexico helped out on the horns in 05. Not sure which show it is, but I know that I have it on one of my bootleg shows. I think somewhere in the Southwest?

2nd, in 06 at Brown University Wilco brought on stage 3 students who played horns on a couple of songs and than took them to NY/NJ for the next few nights.

3rd, the Winter Residency in 08 brought about the Total Pros. Although, I think they may have done something prior to that.

So on the Winter/Spring/Summer tour Wilco toured with the Total Pros..not really sure if they did every show, but I know they were at Tanglewood in August.

I think it's possible that they could come again at some point maybe at a gig that is close to where they reside. But I also think been there done that. Maybe something else will accompany Wilco this time around.

So I would go to your shows with the expectations that "ehh...I doubt the Total Pros will show up...but if they do it'll be a surprise". Maybe in a couple of years. I assume the band wants to play as a 6 piece and when the time is necessary than they'll bring back Total Pros or Kenny G.

:D

Thanks,

Kristofor

Hey, (ok 2nd time to try and post this for you...VC has been having its problems..next time I should copy my text before posting)....

OK

I know that Calexico helped out on the horns in 05. Not sure which show it is, but I know that I have it on one of my bootleg shows. I think somewhere in the Southwest?

2nd, in 06 at Brown University Wilco brought on stage 3 students who played horns on a couple of songs and than took them to NY/NJ for the next few nights.

3rd, the Winter Residency in 08 brought about the Total Pros. Although, I think they may have done something prior to that.

So on the Winter/Spring/Summer tour Wilco toured with the Total Pros..not really sure if they did every show, but I know they were at Tanglewood in August.

I think it's possible that they could come again at some point maybe at a gig that is close to where they reside. But I also think been there done that. Maybe something else will accompany Wilco this time around.

So I would go to your shows with the expectations that "ehh...I doubt the Total Pros will show up...but if they do it'll be a surprise". Maybe in a couple of years. I assume the band wants to play as a 6 piece and when the time is necessary than they'll bring back Total Pros or Kenny G.

:D

Thanks,

Kristofor

I believe Max (trumpet) was overheard saying at the Chicago premiere of Ashes that he played on the new album so the total pros are still around in some form. The Kicking TV Vic shows had a different set of horns...

Hey y'all-

It's Max, the Total Pro here.

We have not heard from the band about any shows with us yet. I think Jeff likes to use horns later on in the touring cycle to change things up when he goes through a town the second time. Pretty smart, actually. Other factors are geography, and the size of the stages. So, you may see us this summer, but no word as of yet.

I played on the new album, but none of the other Total Pros did. It's just a short 3-bar lick on the outro of "Everlasting Everything".

Cheers,

Max

• Like 1

Hey y'all-

It's Max, the Total Pro here.

We have not heard from the band about any shows with us yet. I think Jeff likes to use horns later on in the touring cycle to change things up when he goes through a town the second time. Pretty smart, actually. Other factors are geography, and the size of the stages. So, you may see us this summer, but no word as of yet.

I played on the new album, but none of the other Total Pros did. It's just a short 3-bar lick on the outro of "Everlasting Everything".

Cheers,

Max

Thanks Max. I love the horns in Everlasting!

Well, I've known Jeff since the Uncle Tupelo days, but never got the opportunity to play with him until "Summerteeth". That's me at the end of "Pieholden Suite".

Then, last year, I did a session for a band called The M's at The Loft. About 2 weeks later, when Wilco was rehearsing for the Residency, Jeff realized "Hey, some of these songs need horns." Steve, from the M's, works for Wilco doing monitors. He mentioned my name. And the rest is, as they say, hysteria. So, it was a fortuitous combination of serendipity and who-ya-know. That's Chicago for you.