:upset

I knew this was going to be bad news when I saw the title of this thread.

Koko used to make Kalamazoo a regular stop when the Club Soda was the place to hear blues and rock-n-roll. I still (vaugely) remember many a Friday or Saturday night at the Soda pitchin' a Wang Dang Doodle . . . All night long.

RIP Koko.

Its kind of sad that a mention of Joe Cocker has gotten more responses than Koko, but then again that is pretty standard isn't it??

(Sorry to be so snide about this, but it is the truth....)

LouieB

Its kind of sad that a mention of Joe Cocker has gotten more responses than Koko, but then again that is pretty standard isn't it??

(Sorry to be so snide about this, but it is the truth....)

LouieB

I wish I would have seen her at club, but I only saw her at festival-type settings. I must admit as I read your comment here in this thread and I thought Joe Cocker died ,too; then I went into the Cocker thread...

I posted the news when it broke on a Stones board (Via Chicago was obliviously down) and it sunk pretty quick. Guess no one listen's to the blues much anymore, but I suppose I fall in that category. She definitely was a blue's, as well as Chicago, force and a great singer.

It's great she was performing pretty much up to the time she passed.

I wish I would have seen her at club, but I only saw her at festival-type settings. I must admit as I read your comment here in this thread and I thought Joe Cocker died ,too; then I went into the Cocker thread...

I posted the news when it broke on a Stones board (Via Chicago was obliviously down) and it sunk pretty quick. Guess no one listen's to the blues much anymore, but I suppose I fall in that category. She definitely was a blue's, as well as Chicago, force and a great singer.

It's great she was performing pretty much up to the time she passed.

Sorry to panic you. I like Joe Cocker okay and don't really begrudge his sucess, but his career has not had much to recommend it for far more years than Koko, who even though she did pretty much the same sort of thing, continued to put out some pretty fine albums that were recognized into the recent decades, whereas Cocker is pretty much a product of the 60s and early 70s and you can sum up the majority of his career on about three albums (as mentioned in the thread....)

It is true that few people listen to the blues anymore. It is sure surprising that even on the Stones board, a band who owe their entire early career to the blues, that no one seems interested.

It isn't too surprising that the Chicago blues particularly isn't listened to much any more. Most of the really great Chicago artists are gone and the rest have fallen into a rather dull performing routine. If there is one type of music that became and continues to be formulaic it is the electric blues.

LouieB