I <Heart> The Rosebuds

I finally got around to catching these guys live in Durham. As part of the "Duke Performance Series" The Rosebuds played to a very large crowd in the tranquil location of the Sarah Duke gardens, this past Wednesday. I had been digging them for some time now, but never got around to seeing their live show, but I'm glad to have finally remedied that.

Their music is hard to pin down to a particular genre. It's probably easiest to call it "Pop/Rock", but then that may change with the next release. This isn't the crappy pap that they play on the radio kind of Pop, either. Their last full length: "Life Like" is on repeat around here.

They're on the Merge record label. Here's the obligatory bio.

There is a free download FLAC/mp3 of remixes, available through the Merge store to get you started. It's called "Sweet Beats, Troubled Sleep (Night of the Furies Remixed)." Happy Listening!

Any other fans out there?

this is a band that i've always wanted to check out but haven't. at the Barnes and Noble in Cary, they have a section for local artists and The Rosebuds are up there, close to Elizabeth Cotten. Ryan Adams used to be part of that group as well but he's been removed. it just occurred to me that NC ain't so bad after all. :lol

I see them every chance I get around NC. Caught them last week with Rusted Root in Raleigh, outdoor show by the Lincoln Theatre. Good dynamic between husband and wife, vocally, many songs a change on the power trio with her on the keyboard. I enjoy both the high energy songs and the ones with a "creeped out" (according to a friend) vibe, like the Stayin' Alive cover they do.

Ah... the "Band Together" tribute at the Lincoln Theater. I should have been there, but a family reunion took precedence. I'm sure we'll run into one another at a future gig. I will not be missing the next one if I can help it. The Duke Gardens show was really great, but not a full set. They left the stage with us wanting more, that's for sure.

They're pretty good but I honestly haven't listened to them in 2+ years. I bought one of their albums, Make Out (I'm not sure but there is a horse on the cover), a few years ago but I haven't bought any of their other albums since.

What's another album I could possibly get?

hey kev, what's happened to your blog?

i caught the rosebuds about 5 years ago. i liked 'em but i imagine they've changed some in that time. i always hear a song of theirs every few months but never been moved to pick anything up by them.

(btw, citizen kane is playing right this very instant)

hey kev, what's happened to your blog?

i caught the rosebuds about 5 years ago. i liked 'em but i imagine they've changed some in that time. i always hear a song of theirs every few months but never been moved to pick anything up by them.

(btw, citizen kane is playing right this very instant)

Hey Bill,

I guess I just kinda ran out of words. Or inspiration. I'm on Facebook too much for my own good anyhow.

Back on topic, the Rosebuds' sound changes from album to album. I'd pick up "Night of the Furies" and then "Life Like" which is a really great record.

Kevin

Life Like is the only one I've heard all the way through but I REALLY like it.

DEFINITELY get Make Out and Make Good Neighbords. i dig Life Like, but it's towards the bottom of their catalog for me.

they're so much fun live, i

kelly-rosebud.jpg

:wub