Found: at Amazon for $0.01

Periodically, I'll run across an album at Amazon that somebody just can't get rid of, so you can get it for pretty much just the cost of shipping.

Periodically, these albums will be pretty darned worthwhile, if not downright excellent.

This will be the thread Obner shares what such bargains are out there.

I'll start:

41WHP0DPNML._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Wolfgang Press - Queer

A goth-pop band with some electronic elements: think of a brooding baritone like Nick Cave or Peter Murphy fronting a beat-heavy, sample-happy band like Deee-Lite, and that's pretty much what you'll get.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Recommendation #2:

7b39024128a025083f1ed010.L._AA240_.jpg

Circle C (©) - Circle C (©)

It's hyper-eclectic, and engaging. That's about all that I got. So here's a customer review from Amazon, that gets pretty close:

This is NOT! The obnoxious street rap punks spewing filth called copyright. No this is a different group. I find it difficult to pigeon hole this groups "sound" or use any comparisons. The best I can do is, If Bob Dylans folk vocals joined the Rolling Stones durring their goats head soup days, you might be getting close. Add some horns on a few tunes & you're nearly there. BUT, This group is not affraid to use mandolin or ukelele, adlib style vocals, driving backbeat or hypnotic bass lines. Then again don't get too comfortable with a tune, it WILL take you by surprise. As a listener, I LIKE to be taken by surprise. Too many music groups fall into remaking the same old hash that everybody else is making. This group takes the ho-hum out of listening, in a refreshing way. If you like predictable music maybe look elswhere, if you like unconventional listening from time to time to expand your own creative juices, try these guys out. "Faith No More" was the last band that surprised my listening thirst so much.

Also HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

I don't know if I've ever bought anything for 1 cent, but I've bought quite a few cds in the $1 or less range, including:

Bloc: In The Free Zone (A '90s Nels band, which he describes as "the most '80s sounding record of the '90s" and "dual strat attack")

bloc-freezone.jpg

Currently available on Amazon for 1 cent.

Bob: Complex Organism Blues (A '90s Atlanta band. This cd has been virtually impossible to find in Atlanta for the last ten years or so.)

halfcd1.gif

Butterflies: Bored Room (Another '90s Atlanta band. I couldn't find an image for this one, so the image attached is actualy their 2nd, self titled album, which I consider one of the best albums of the '90s, and I give it my highest recommendation. In comparison, Bored Room is just OK.)

Butterf1.jpg

Bored Room is currently available on Amazon for 1 cent. The self-titled one is available for 34 cents.

The self-titled one is available for 34 cents.

You got a link for that one?

It's a little deceptive since the cover art used is from a bad 1992 movie, but one of the reviews on the S/T one looks to be from one of their drummers.

What was the movie? In case it's not obvious, the album cover that shows on the amazon link is not the real album cover.

It's kind of weird that the drumnmer only gives it three stars. I know she adored this band. I always saw her in the audience at their shows after she left the band.

I have been looking for ANY Butterflies album since hearing them on a NG Records Sampler years and years ago. Holy Crap! "Son of An Astronaut" is a GREAT song.

You're going to love "Birds in the Morning".

Oh, I found an image for their Bored Room album cover:

8948_2.JPG

It's for sale on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Butterflies-Bored-Room-CD-Rare_W0QQitemZ290284997507QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_CDs?hash=item4396558b83&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Yes, the song titles and reviews match the one I'm referring to.

Just ordered it.

Looking forward to hearing it, thanks!

There was a great article (maybe from Pitchfork, I'm pretty sure it was PF) from about 5-6 years ago about this same subject. I have tried in vain to find it. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Or maybe, even better, find it?

I submit 4 Lemonheads albums for your consideration. It's Shame About Ray is a classic alternative album that should be in everybodies collection. I love Come on Feel just as much. THe other two aren't masterpieces but are just as good. Stove, from Lovey, is one of his best songs ever.

d3af224128a0a290048b8010.L._AA240_.jpg

It's a Shame About Ray

Cheapest copy: $0.65

e647793509a00e0b16ba1110.L._AA240_.jpg

Come on Feel

Cheapest copy: $0.01

ea29224128a0667a3ae92010.L._AA240_.jpg

Car Button Cloth

Cheapest copy: $0.82

41V0ZF7BB6L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Lovey

Cheapest Copy: $1.18

Can't believe that I missed this one:

41PEZ14SWJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Webb Brothers - Maroon

Only one of my favorite albums of the '00s!

It shouldn't come as a surprise that the sons of Jimmy Webb ("The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress") have an affinity for emotional bombast and Baroque flourishes. Their second album is full of soaring choruses and orchestral backdrops that might as well have been inspired by Tunesmith, Webb the Elder's giant treatise on the art of song. Less predictable are the steps the brothers take toward forging their own distinctively contemporary voice. Their subject matter is the lifestyle of carefree (and careless) swingers, and they capture it in spare, acidic lyrics that are almost the opposite of their father's grandiloquence. "Fluorescent Lights" is typical: "It's three in the morning she's lovely/But ugly to me/In fluorescent lights we'd be sickening to see." "All the Cocaine in the World" takes the strategy to an extreme. It's built on a single line, repeated in pretty harmony: "All the cocaine in the world/Can't bring back the girl." While the themes remain constant, musical styles fly fast and furious. Jangly guitar and kitschy synthesizers power "Summer People," horns and rolling piano take over for the cha cha "Intermission," and "Fluorescent Lights" is a strings-heavy waltz. The eclecticism, along with the jaded, wasted character of the lyrics, makes Maroon a cousin to Rufus Wainwright's Poses, another breakthrough album by a second-generation songwriter. The marriage of sophisticated, catchy melodies and cynical sentiments also brings to mind the work of Joe Pernice. That's impressive company for a couple of young talents still skulking in the shadows of "MacArthur Park."

Butterf1.jpg

Just arrived!

Hopefully I'll get to give it a listen today.

I'll give you my impressions once I get to listen.

R.E.M. Bonanza!

I have recently been hunting down all of the REM albums I have failed to pick up over the years through a lack of interest in them (Out of Time and Around the World). You can get half of their discography for shipping costs (9 albums in all)! Even though most of these albums are not the best representation of REM's work, you can't beat that price - easily worth the price of admission in my book. You can find a copy of each of these albums for a penny:

Automatic for the People

Out of Time

Green

New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Monster

Eponymous

Around the Sun

Up

Reveal

Plus, their other IRS albums can mostly be found for less than $2 on amazon.

Also found for $0.01:

41BEH7JK1CL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Cibo Matto - Viva! La Woman

It's not as good as I remember it. Kinda annoying, actually. But, I think there might be some fans here.

And, for $0.76:

512GASG9VWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Tom Zé - Estuando o Pagode

One of my favorite albums of the decade, and proof that the guy is still as insane and adventurous in his 70's as he ever was!

Admit it, you got these solely for the cover art. ;)

Got the Butterflies CD. Not what I had hoped, though, is an interesting artifact of the 90's: a Nirvana/Pavement hybrid! Going to give it some time, maybe it's a grower...

After a second listen, I'm thinking that it really is.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe that I missed this one:

41PEZ14SWJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Webb Brothers - Maroon

Only one of my favorite albums of the '00s!

Took a chance on that one, and it's pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation ... the price was right!

Here are few I found for a penny:

Kerosene Hat by Cracker

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000W4I/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Rattle & Hum by U2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001FS6/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Odelay by Beck

http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000003TBP/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Voodoo Lounge by the Stones

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000W6L/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Here are some more things I like that I feel are more than worth the price of admission:

41GX953317L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea

CD Version = $.01 or CD/DVD = $.05

Best Pumpkins album not made by the original Pumpkins. I love this disc.

5f6b228348a043774d1b0110.L._AA240_.jpg

Love Spit Love - S/T (ex-Psychedelic Furs)

CD = $.01

Great CD from an almost forgotten band. Am I Wrong is still great to my ears.

ecae9833e7a035a96b4b2110.L._AA240_.jpg

Bash & Pop - Friday Night is Killing Me

CD = $.01

Great album that should be owned by everyone.