Buying a record player

I want to buy a record player. I don't really buy CDs anymore and I miss having all the artwork and stuff and I'd like to start getting LPs of my favorite albums.

That said, I'm a poor photojournalist and I don't have much $.

Is anything out there for 100 and under even worth getting? I'm looking at the Sony PS LX250H and the Audio Technica AT-PL50 right now. I have no idea what I'm getting into and what the differences are between high end models and cheapo ones.

Suggestions?

(And no, I can't really afford anything over 150 right now)

i spent $99 for an Emerson turntable at K-Mart. i then bought a $65 surround sound set-up from Walmart and have had 0 problems with any of the equipment. you can sometimes find turntables for $50 at either K-Mart or Big Lots when they're on sale.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DP-29F-Turntable?sc=2&category=46

this denon might be a good buy if you don't have the required phono input with RIAA equalization on your receiver. DAKmart has refurbished units for 83 dollars. otheriwse you'd be looking at least 50 bucks for a cheapo phono preamp, 100 dollar range for a decent budget phono preamp like the NAD.

okay, I'm clueless and need help.

I bought the Sony PS LX250H but I can't get the turn table to turn. I plug it in and hit start and nothing happens. I assume the belt needs to be wrapped around the motor pulley or something, but i dont know how to do that and the manual isn't very descriptive. I don't even see the belt. Anyone know what I'm talking about and can help me through this? I can post photos of the thing if you want to see what it looks like....

okay, I'm clueless and need help.

I bought the Sony PS LX250H but I can't get the turn table to turn.

A turntable that doesn't turn is broken. Take it back, just like you would with any product that doesn't work. What's not to get? Did you buy it from someone off the back of a truck or what?

LouieB

Ha, no, I bought it new from BH Photo/Video. Sony told me I could send it in and have it replaced, but I was just thinking since it was brand spankin new there really shouldn't be any problem with it. I still think I missed some step in the set up... is the belt visible? or is underneath everything? There is a little pulley on the top left and I think the belt is supposed to go around that (maybe?), but there is no belt going around that. Pardon my record player ignorance.

i spent $99 for an Emerson turntable at K-Mart. i then bought a $65 surround sound set-up from Walmart and have had 0 problems with any of the equipment. you can sometimes find turntables for $50 at either K-Mart or Big Lots when they're on sale.

i seen a record player at big lots for 45.00, i had bought one at k-mart already for a much higher price,i didn't understand why people liked vinyl so much but once i bought sbs on vinyl,my first, i was hooked right away and now i get almost everything on vinyl i can find, it's nice to have a poster and more art inside to look at not to mention a place for lyrics too.

First try this; lock the tonearm, hold the platter with your thumb and look underneath the turntable-- there may be a 'platter lock', just a little red or yellow plastic tab that needs to be pulled out. (keep it in case you ever have to transport or ship the thing somewhere)

If that's not the case, then lift the platter off gently and look for where the belt should attach to the pulley, as you said.

If the unit has no sign of life (power led or whatever) then I guess it's a dud. Unlikely though.

Thanks for the advice WTF. There is no platter lock though. I lifted up the platter and I can see there is no belt going around the pulley- I don't even see a belt. Is it underneath all the plastic? Should the belt be pretty obvious to see? I'm so frustrated- I think I may just send it back to BH and try another one. Should the belt be visible, or is it underneath everything?

okay, here is what it looks like once the platter is removed. I see no belt. And you'll notice there is no belt going 'round the pulley

0964294065.jpg

sorry to bug ya'll with this, but none of my friends around here have any clue about record player.

okay, here is what it looks like once the platter is removed. I see no belt. And you'll notice there is no belt going 'round the pulley

0964294065.jpg

sorry to bug ya'll with this, but none of my friends around here have any clue about record player.

I see no belt in that pic. No belt=no turny.....

The belt could be sitting on the underbelly midsection of the platter, or taped to something, or just loose in a small baggie somewhere. It's probably a thin black rubber thing about 7-8" in diameter when it's not stretched out. I'm guessing it's a repack 'table and they neglected to include that part. Call them and maybe they can just send you one, or arrange for Sony to mail it to you.

Sorry to point out the obvious but, after you turned it on, did you move the arm over to the record?

A lot of turntables won't start moving until you move the arm. :hmm

I would hope he tried that but you are right, if you don't move the arm it may not move.

Let's put it this way. If your turntable isn't working right now, the prognosis for it is poor. Turntables are mechanical and do break down with normal wear and tear. Some turntables are direct drive and don't have belts.

LouieB

Sorry to point out the obvious but, after you turned it on, did you move the arm over to the record?

yeah, I tried that. And I looked under the platter to see if the belt was taped up under there and nothing. And there was no belt in any of the baggies. I sent the thing back today for a refund and picked up one at Best Buy later today- hopefully will be spinning some tunes here soon...

I have a Technics SL1200 MK2 and I swear by em. I fully believe that when aliens discover our planet and want to know how we listened to music, the SL1200 is how they are gonna get the info. The thing is an absolute tank that should be all accounts last for decades, even under harsh use....

I have that Sony player. Did you look at the bottom of the platter? The belt should be wrapped around it. If it is, then line up the cut-out in the platter with the gold knob on the upper left of the player. Reach through the cut-out in the platter, grab the belt, and wrap it around the knob. Then you're all set.

On the other hand, if the belt is not wrapped around the platter, and it was nowhere else to be found in the packaging, then it didn't come with one. Sony could send you a replacement belt, or you could take it back to the store for an exchange. If you opt for the exchange, you might want to open the box before you leave the store to make sure there's a belt in there.

Sorry, I missed that you already got a replacement. But yeah, if I remember correctly, the belt comes wrapped around the bottom of the platter.