genuine basement tapes vs. a tree with roots

I recall Bob being quoted around the release of the 'Albert Hall' volume saying 'if I thought it was any good, I'd have put it out years ago' or something. I wonder if he's still as invested in his back catalog, and The Basement Tapes is one of the victims. Somehow I think he doesn't concern himself with that stuff so much anymore.

I've often thought that he probably does not have much of anything to do with the archival releases. I suppose he must sign off on them at some point.

I think his releases are much like his radio show; someone else picks the songs and writes the script and he reads it.

LouieB

I think his releases are much like his radio show; someone else picks the songs and writes the script and he reads it.

LouieB

i always thought:

1) they give him the theme

2) he picks the songs he wants

3) sitting in his tour bus, he records the dialogue

4) they record it splice together and find a fake email and phone call

5) we hear it!

well, i got a tree with roots and it's nothing special. yes, i would love to have a basement tapes vol. II, but getting into bootlegs and such is just not for me anymore. artists, for the most part, do a good job of putting out their best material. even ryan adams. i spent a lot of time getting some of his unreleased stuff recently only to decide that the best stuff was released on demolition. and then the new jayhawks deluxe editions etc. i just can't get worked up about it. i like the way wilco makes their bonus stuff easily available on their site. other than that, i'm just too old for this shit.

ps-i do like dylan and the band's version of Big River though:)

That was a joke. It's from Seinfeld.

But seriously, I disagree with his post.

I know. I was poking fun at the poster in the other forum. Poor attempt at humor on my part.

I have a copy of Roots, however I have not listened to in quite some time. Planning to listened to it today.

That was a joke. It's from Seinfeld.

But seriously, I disagree with his post.

A-Man, curious why you dont agree with my post above :music

seriously, just curious.

A-Man, curious why you dont agree with my post above :music

seriously, just curious.

I am generally not a fan of someone taking their demos and adding parts to them, or deleting parts from them (for that matter), and then putting them out. Or something like that.

i always thought:

1) they give him the theme

2) he picks the songs he wants

3) sitting in his tour bus, he records the dialogue

4) they record it splice together and find a fake email and phone call

5) we hear it!

I have only heard a few of these (like the one in the deluxe set of the new album and a few CDs my brother in law made for me.), but the more I hear the more fake it sounds. The only thing I don't believe is #2. I would like to think Dylan knows about all the songs he plays, but listening to the show on baseball, they picked some really obscure stuff and some songs that weren't all that good. Even his comments on some musicians don't seem very spontaneous. But hey, it is fun enough to listen to. I mean even Howard Stern and other radio personalities have people write material for them.

LouieB

I am generally not a fan of someone taking their demos and adding parts to them, or deleting parts from them (for that matter), and then putting them out. Or something like that.

you mean an artist or a fan doing that? my point was that my experience has been that when i seek out bootlegs i'm disappointed with what i get 99% of the time. also, seeking this stuff out is a hassle, especially when there's different versions, like the basement tapes.

My favorite moment in any of Bob's XM shows is the way he pronounces "Lake Monona" when talking about Otis' death.

case in point to my post above...i downloaded the second season of the radio show. it took several days. i was hoping to hear dylan just talk like dylan, similar to the writing in chronicles. however, it does sound like he's just reading a script. now, if i had xm and happened to be in the car, i'd listen to it. but not worth the trouble of seeking out and downloading.

case in point to my post above...i downloaded the second season of the radio show. it took several days. i was hoping to hear dylan just talk like dylan, similar to the writing in chronicles. however, it does sound like he's just reading a script. now, if i had xm and happened to be in the car, i'd listen to it. but not worth the trouble of seeking out and downloading.

I'd DL Bob reading Mapquest directions to his doctor's office.

you mean an artist or a fan doing that? my point was that my experience has been that when i seek out bootlegs i'm disappointed with what i get 99% of the time. also, seeking this stuff out is a hassle, especially when there's different versions, like the basement tapes.

Artist. There was a lot of sprucing up done on the Basement Tapes tracks there were officially released in 1975. At least, that is what I have always read. I didn't want to go on about Ryan Adams or some other band in this thread, but I have found that sometimes, these unreleased demos/songs are better than what said band put out. I never really messed with bootlegs, until the days of Bit Torrent came along. And have not really grabbed that much stuff, as far as that goes. Actually, the Dylan/Ryan Adams/Black Crowes tracks that I have were all given to me on cds.

I had never heard The Basement Tapes until Louie B made me a copy of it when I was at his house several years ago.