genuine basement tapes vs. a tree with roots

what's the difference. seems like some songs on the GBT are not on ATWR. any insight?

thanks, c

You are right I think, but since I own the GBT and not the ATWR I have no real idea.

LouieB

I thought A Tree With Roots is The Genuine Basement Tapes distilled down to its best bits.

i think you might be right. although, my first listen to vol. one of gbt there's some good stuff missing. i hesitate to get into this as going down the road with dylan bootlegs might not be something i need to get worked up about, but there's so much mythology behind the basement tapes. i'll check out expecting rain too.

thanks friends!

link regarding GBT

http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/reviews/basement_tapes.html

link regarding TWR

http://theband.hiof.no/albums/boot_tree_with_roots.html

from the TWR link.

4CD Dylan bootleg set released in 2001 on both the White Bear and the Wild Wolf label, then again in 2002 in box format by Vagabond Wilbury Records, with minor additions. The boot is probably in some way connected to the Bob Dylan CDR tree distribution page "To the Tree with Roots".

It's a complete overhaul of the basement tapes, 128 tracks in total, completely remastered with a major leap forward in sound quality compared to the original 5CD set. It's also put together in a much more organised and logical sequence. High quality packaging, 2 booklets, extensive original source notes and reprints of important press coverage. The original pressing was limited to 500 copies.

I think TWR may just be an upgrade.

there is a more recent version with 23 tracks which sounds amazing. can't remember what it is called though. someone (can't remember who - although it was a female, i remember that) sent me a link to it a while back. dylan's voice is right up front and clear, it is warm and there is bass, the organ sounds great and everything is clean, clear, and uncompressed and it's in proper stereo - as it was recorded. that's what you really want to hear, although Tree With Roots etc... obviously has all the songs.

Until this material is officially released from the best possible source tape we will get different versions and different configurations.

Stereo? I suppose there are source tapes that are stereo, but this material was recorded with a variety of number of microphones, depending on the day. Mostly they were just trying to pick up as much as possible I think. These days it is possible that someone has mixed whatever this down or out to sound better.

The Dylan camp would do well to reissue these and make their own money on this, rather than leave the "official" release out there. There are all kinds of cool songs on these sessions, but some really don't sound all that good in the versions released (and never have going all the way back to the original GWW.) Due to the techinical limitations of some of the material, some will always sound like crap.

LouieB

Until this material is officially released from the best possible source tape we will get different versions and different configurations.

Stereo? I suppose there are source tapes that are stereo, but this material was recorded with a variety of number of microphones, depending on the day. Mostly they were just trying to pick up as much as possible I think. These days it is possible that someone has mixed whatever this down or out to sound better.

The Dylan camp would do well to reissue these and make their own money on this, rather than leave the "official" release out there. There are all kinds of cool songs on these sessions, but some really don't sound all that good in the versions released (and never have going all the way back to the original GWW.) Due to the techinical limitations of some of the material, some will always sound like crap.

LouieB

no, apparently it's from the master tapes Garth Hudson has. it's in acc mp4 (edit m4a sorry) format, but i could upload people a song if they want - it really is entirely different from all those other bootlegs. i imagine it actually surfaced when they were getting a good version of I'm Not There for the film soundtrack.

anyway, it's not a remix or anything and if i could remember the title of the bloody thing (cos it's not on the track info) i'd be able to find a little more from google.

anyone wanna hear a track? it's amazing sounding.

According to Wikipedia (always taken with a grain or several of salt):

A nearly-complete collection of the known Dylan recordings has been bootlegged as the 5-CD set The Genuine Basement Tapes, which was later remastered and re-released on the 4-CD bootleg A Tree With Roots. This collection contains 107 songs and alternate takes.[38] On March 31, 2009, Legacy Records issued a remastered version of the original 1975 Basement Tapes double-album, two compact discs in digipak packaging, reproducing the original liner notes by Marcus but adding no bonus tracks. Neither were there additional essays given the books written on the music contained within, nor corrected instrumental credits for the participants given the additional research in the ensuing decades.

I have ATWR and GBT. GBT has much more material, I know that. I'm still trying to sort through it all to really know what is different about the two.

Both sound the same to me quality-wise.

Thanks for this. Since I have GBT I really don't want to have to screw around with another version. I have some of this stuff on old LP boots and some cassettes from old boots. Ah those were the days....

LouieB

here's million dollar bash: http://ifile.it/i6adhe8 (download it by clicking on the "request ticket" thing at the top, and then "download").

see what you think. i think it's like an entirely new song. oh, it has 2 slight digital clicks at the start - but this is the only track it does it on.

Certainly sounds bigger and a little cleaner. But what about those blips in the first thirty seconds?

i think you might be right. although, my first listen to vol. one of gbt there's some good stuff missing. i hesitate to get into this as going down the road with dylan bootlegs might not be something i need to get worked up about, but there's so much mythology behind the basement tapes. i'll check out expecting rain too.

thanks friends!

well, the masters at expecting rain have said that there is a new set the trumps all and is called the basement tape anthology.

part of me is concerned i am missing out on some great music here, but damn if seeking out unreleased stuff is tiresome. especially when there's a hundred versions of songs etc.

well, the masters at expecting rain have said that there is a new set the trumps all and is called the basement tape anthology.

part of me is concerned i am missing out on some great music here, but damn if seeking out unreleased stuff is tiresome. especially when there's a hundred versions of songs etc.

I feel exactly the same. If you run across it, can you let me know? Thanks.

ok, i've found some more info on the version i've got. it was, as i thought, made by Garth Hudson - it's the 'safety master' he made in 1968, it is True Stereo as i stated before, and it was found in Neil Youngs archives.

here's the info. safety tapes

and here's an mp3 showing the difference between the released version and the safety version of Wheels On Fire

Certainly sounds bigger and a little cleaner. But what about those blips in the first thirty seconds?

that might be a bodge-up in my version, or on all of them when they copied it from the tapes to digital - i don't know. it's not on any of the other tracks.

They should put all of that stuff out, officially. If they ever do, hopefully they won't mess with the tracks like they did for the official release in 1975. It would be expensive, but the Dylan freaks would buy it.

They should put all of that stuff out, officially. If they ever do, hopefully they won't mess with the tracks like they did for the official release in 1975. It would be expensive, but the Dylan freaks would buy it.

It would be such a natural for the Bootleg Series.