Nels Cline And Jon Brion

If you are looking for live music options for August 8 and live, say, somewhere west of the Rockies, you may be interested in the Nels Cline/Jon Brion show in Los Angeles at Largo at the Coronet. It's the seventh or so show in this series, and I can't tell you what to expect, other than some inspired improv. They've been known to break out some Beatles and Roxy Music tunes, and last time, Dave Rawlings showed up with a banjo for a handful of songs. Anyway, it's $20, and there might even be some post-show action in the aptly named Little Room. Details at the Largo Web site. Oh, and Largo is serving alcohol again! Can't wait! *

* I am not an employee of Largo, just a fervent admirer.

• 3 weeks later...

I am eventually going to plan a week around coming to LA to see a Brion Largo show. And if he's ever in Chicago again, now that I am within driving distance half the year, I'll be all over that as well.

--Mike

I am eventually going to plan a week around coming to LA to see a Brion Largo show. And if he's ever in Chicago again, now that I am within driving distance half the year, I'll be all over that as well.

--Mike

I don't think Jon's going anywhere for a while, but even if he were, I would still suggest that you come to Los Angeles. His show there has some new twists, and the club's crew has also made some adjustments that extend the night's festivities. Also, there's a nudie bar across the street if you get bored and a real d-bag bar next door in case you want to see more of the cliches that L.A. is better known for. It's a win-win!

Looking forward to the Nels/Jon show tonight!

I don't think Jon's going anywhere for a while, but even if he were, I would still suggest that you come to Los Angeles. His show there has some new twists, and the club's crew has also made some adjustments that extend the night's festivities. Also, there's a nudie bar across the street if you get bored and a real d-bag bar next door in case you want to see more of the cliches that L.A. is better known for. It's a win-win!

Looking forward to the Nels/Jon show tonight!

review? Also whats the new skinny at Largo. How does the pre/post thing work in the little room?

review? Also whats the new skinny at Largo. How does the pre/post thing work in the little room?

Pre-show means the Little Room is open for drinks (Guinness on tap, a limited selection of beers, champagne). The post-show varies depending on the performers. Nels and Jon didn't play after the main gig, but the bar was open for drinks. For Jon's regular Friday night shows, he'll play for another hour, give or take, in the Little Room. If you miss the Fairfax facilities, this is an extremely close approximation, only w/o the food requirements. The Little Room is startlingly intimate, and it pretty much allows for only acoustic performances. Also, the post-show is free and open to anyone who attends the main show. It holds 60-odd people, but I have yet to see anyone turned away. Apparently, even on sold-out nights, most people opt to go home after the main gig.

The show last night was more collaborative than some of their more recent gigs together. There were no guests, and I felt they truly shared the spotlight. In all, they pulled off four "songs," including a 30-minute opener. For fans of more straightforward music (myself included), one of the songs was an acoustic guitar duet that may have leaned in the direction of Billie Holiday. I'm not sure about that, though--I'm an idiot when it comes to standards. Oh, and Nels played the drums! :)