Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

I'm taking a big plunge as a newbie by starting a new topic. ;)

Has anyone here heard of this band? I stumbled upon them a few days ago and have become addicted to their Up From Below album. If it's any help, when I searched for the album on amazon, it said that people who bought this also bought W(TA). ;)

I am completely addicted to this...but have spent the past 2 days trying to categorize it. I can't. There is no Edward Sharpe. The lead singer's name is Alex something or other, and there is even one song on here where one of the other (female) band members refers to him as Alexander in the middle of the song!

How can I categorize this album? I'm not sure....I love the songs, the sound, the singer's voice. If I had to try to place this in a style category, I'd say 60's pop psychedelia, mixed with hillbilly country, mixed with very modern indie rock. I'm not sure how these disparate elements combine together to actually work, but they do. I love this album. :)

My toddler calls Janglin, "the tootsie roll" song. I'm not even sure that's what they're saying, but he loves it.

That video they have on their home page is a bit over the top (imagery is laid on a bit thick), but the music is catchy.

really bummed I can't go see them on Sunday night here now :/

Yeah, they're playing here next week, but it's sold out. Rats. Too bad I only discovered this band a couple of days ago. I would have loved to go to this show.

someone asked me to describe it and i said Devendra Banhart fronting the Polyphonic Spree, lol

I keep seeing the name Devendra Banhart in descriptions of this band. I have heard of Devendra Banhart, but have never heard any of his music. Somehow I was under the impression that Devendra Banhart was a lot more "out there" (for lack of a better term) than Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros.

Glad to know that some of you have heard of them and like them!

The song that most intrigues me, and simultaneously most baffles me is Home.

WTF?? It's like Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty crossed with The Bridge on the River Kwai crossed with New Order. *laughs* I've never heard anything quite like it. I love it. :)

• 4 months later...