I know most, many if not all of the people who post here seem to dislike Green Day. I may be one of the exceptions, I tend to like their recorded work, American Idiot and 21 Guns are a lot more mature, listenable and complete than say Dookie and way more intelligent and thoughtful than most people give them credit for. These days people talk down about Green Day the way they talked down about AC DC back in the late 1970’s. Many of the same things said then are repeated now.

Anyhow last night I took my kids to see Greenday and I would guess that 20% of the audience were parent drivers like myself. Anyhow after seeing them I can see more easily why people dislike them so much. The show, while entertaining and non-stop visually stimulating seems to be geared towards adolescents. It is packed full of shtick, clichés, gratuitous hometown references, cursing, potty humor, chances for random stardom as they constantly pull people on stage, pyro, lights, hits, call and response, sing alongs etc… and it just goes on and on. It is a 13 year olds dream of what a concert should be.

I’m not knocking them for having fun or for dumbing down the music for entertainment purposes, but for my ears and my particular tastes I would love to see them play a show straight without all the stuff, though I don’t know if they are capable of that anymore. I still like the albums, but I think I’ll pass on the next live experience.

It is packed full of shtick, clichés, gratuitous hometown references, cursing, potty humor, chances for random stardom as they constantly pull people on stage, pyro, lights, hits, call and response, sing alongs etc… and it just goes on and on. It is a 13 year olds dream of what a concert should be.

Outside of the pyro, this pretty much describes a Wilco show. :lol

I really wish they'd have followed the more stripped down direction they took with Warning, as opposed to the overblown rock opera stuff. Especially since Billie Joe's lyrics have never particularly been a strong suit of theirs.

I never got to see them pre-Dookie, and haven't been at all interested in seeing them since.

The toilet paper dispenser and the tshirt giveaway cannon on the current tour is a little much...

TP DIspenser, T-Shirt Cannon & Super Soaker all on the same song, which I can't remember because the theatrics overshadowed what was being played.