I don't think I like music...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's actually reasonably thin and a great songwriter too but who's counting?

the rap/singing gets old really fast for me. i love the music though. same with joanna newsom.

2723155221_3d38f2d2c2.jpg

Seems reasonably thin to these eyes.

who's that girl?

I've often wondered if there is an inevitable point in time for every individual where all new music is a lost cause. I have a friend that listens to nothing but Tom Petty and Pearl Jam and Counting Crows. He'll never get out of his early-to-mid-90s rut.

i envy that dude. i'm much like him. ask me what i want to listen to and it's usually something from the 70s. i wasn't too aware of music until the 1980, so i have no psychic reactions to 70s music. the 80s and 90s always take me back to less that fun times. the 00s are better. for me it's basically come down to neil young, springsteen, dylan, selected classic rock, fusion, and prog rock.

I don't own an ipod and I rarely listen to mp3s.

My music enjoyment took a break fort a while. Or, more accurately, my music listening became much more passive and less enjoyable. The reason was because we renovated a room and had a sliding-door to the backyard installed, and we got cable tv. Most of my music listening was in the car on XM radio, which ranges from kinda good to downright terrible.

I'm currently in a phase where music is extra exciting to me. The reason for the change is because my wife and I are making a point of exercising regularly. I get up early every day, go to the basement and do my thing while listening to records. I find out interesting things about albums while exercising. Things I might not ever notice if I were just listening.

I'm not a good jogger, but last week when I was jogging on the treadmill I was ready to stop and move on to the rest of my workout, but I told myself I'd continue jogging until whatever song I was listening to on Tom Petty's "You're Gonna Get It" album ended and the next song started...then there was one of the longest fade outs I've ever heard and another ten or 15 seconds of total silence before the next song started. :P

I also brought some headphones to work, so now I can listen to music pretty much all day (Now playing Miles Davis Panthalassa...surprisingly good office music) and I can listen to things that have been collecting dust as a result of not getting played in the house as a result of me and my wife not agreeing on a number of music artists.

More to the point of the thread, I don't make much of a point of paying attention to new music. I don't like what I've heard from the new Animal Collective album, and that seems to be the most across the board praised album in a really long time. There are a few current bands that I've heard that sound pretty good, but I'm hesitant to commit to a whole album. St. Vincent and Camera Obscura being two.

The biggest music thrill I've had in a while is finally finding a copy of Turtle Soup.

I'm going to see Dungen tomorrow. That should be pretty excellent, and I'm excited about that. Much moreso than I was about seeing Sonic Youth last month.

that's actually not true. mp3 cuts off high end and low end frequencies to make the file smaller. saying that people can't tell the difference, as such, doesn't mean to say that there isn't a difference. it's like making a meal with different ingredients, although at the end you can't pick out every flavour doesn't mean that every ingredient isn't important. equally some people just don't have the pallet to taste things properly in the first place. the point i was actually making about mp3's was actually the fact that they are easily skipable, i rarely listen to a whole song on my computer - i fast forward to the good bits, play a bit, and find something else. that's what i meant by mp3's being bad. they are also not as good in terms of sound, but that wasn't what i meant at the time.

if joanna newsom is unlistenable that should perhaps give you a clue to the fact that it is fairly important from the point of view of originality. i'd imagine that your parents would have called David Bowie unlistenable, whilst being ok with David Essex. there's a lesson to be learnt from that! it's stuff like her music, that people either say they love or they hate, which is the areas of the music world where you're going to find the next big thing you'll fall in love with. my advice is stay away from the middle.

good points. sorry for my reactionary comments. you are right about mp3s. i so wish the prices would come down to what they're actually worth. maybe $5 an album?

also, you're right about the middle. the middle used to better i think...70s. it's gotten progressively worse. the outliers, well, people either love them or hate them. really happy people are finding new masterpieces. i tend to fall in the latter category. however, if i have nothing nice to say, i really shouldn't say anything at all :)

No clue. Was one of the first Google images that came up.

oh, i thought it was someone famous?

He should see a chiropractor about his head tilt.

seriously? i've been thinking about going to one. worth it?

(hijacking my own thread):

I know I am getting old since I am majorly coveting a huge box set of Artie Shaw put out by Mosaic Records. In my youth Shaw would never have been given a second listen by me, now he seems too good to pass up. (and most people here would not listen to him or even know who he was.)

Damn, I guess that means I'm getting old too, Louie!

Jazz gets much more play as I hit my mid-40s. I am so over classic rock. I had to drive the company car today, which meant listening to local radio, and I heard Carry On Wayward Son and Turn the Page ... two songs I liked when I was 16 but could now live quite comfortably without ever hearing again.

I suggest anyone looking for new music check out some old music that's "new" to you. Actually, Artie Shaw wouldn't be a bad place to start at all.

I haven't heard Artie Shaw. Should I?

I was actually joking, but see Mr. Heartbreak below for some serious shit. Artie Shaw stopped recording in the mid 1950s after having had a stellar career in the 30s and 40s because he simply couldn't stand the music business. He lived until a few years ago and never really went back. Amazing story and an amazing career. It is not the kind of music you will like right off the top because it will seem dated because essentially it is your grand or great grandparents music. So be careful, you might actually like it!!!

Damn, I guess that means I'm getting old too, Louie!

Jazz gets much more play as I hit my mid-40s. I am so over classic rock. I had to drive the company car today, which meant listening to local radio, and I heard Carry On Wayward Son and Turn the Page ... two songs I liked when I was 16 but could now live quite comfortably without ever hearing again.

I suggest anyone looking for new music check out some old music that's "new" to you. Actually, Artie Shaw wouldn't be a bad place to start at all.

Jazz gets alot of my attention too. I often say rather snarkily (is that word) that it is what people get into when they get tired of childrens music (rock, etc.) I just finished listening to a vinyl copy of MingusMingusMingus and couldn't be happpier (although I have to go to work now...)

I play the classic rock game with my kids which is I name the artist the minute it comes on the radio. Some of the songs have been played to death for sure, but at least they have identifiable tunes, something you won't find with either St. Vincent of Bon Iver, who wouldn't know a melody if it hit them over the head (not that there is anything wrong with that!!!)

As for Artie Shaw, I would not start someone on jazz that way, but once you hear him and realize what he is doing (playing amazing clarinet, leading a stellar band with stellar arrangements, no over dubbing, etc.) it gets a little harder to go back to manufactured music that is for sure.

LouieB

Artie Shaw plays an integral part in a critical moment in The Sopranos.

Since I have never been able to watch an entire Sopranos episode you won't be spoiling anything for me....when was this and what number was it?

LouieB

Since I have never been able to watch an entire Sopranos episode you won't be spoiling anything for me....when was this and what number was it?

LouieB

"Comes Love" is playing when

a deranged, senile Uncle Junior shoots Tony in the gut. Before the bang, Junior yells "Who's down there?" to Tony in the kitchen. Tony, making Junior's dinner, yells back "It's Artie Shaw! Now come get your dinner!"

Dude.... Son Volt is so 1995.

ha ha!

my wife agreed to go. i've been telling her that jay is like a cultural icon. he will be remembered like neil young and bruce springsteen. the real deal. she says, 'will they play drown?' !!!!!!! just so you know, we do agree on lots of other stuff, gillian welch being one.

ha ha!

my wife agreed to go. i've been telling her that jay is like a cultural icon. he will be remembered like neil young and bruce springsteen. the real deal. she says, 'will they play drown?' !!!!!!! just so you know, we do agree on lots of other stuff, gillian welch being one.

Funny you should mention that. My wife is going as well despite not liking Jay Farrar in any way. "His voice is so annoying!" We find middle ground too - Wilco, The National, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young (go figure) - but I am glad she is sucking it up and giving it a shot. Maybe the live setting will allow her to appreciate him from a different angle. We'll see. Enjoy the show Rider.

Funny you should mention that. My wife is going as well despite not liking Jay Farrar in any way. "His voice is so annoying!" We find middle ground too - Wilco, The National, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young (go figure) - but I am glad she is sucking it up and giving it a shot. Maybe the live setting will allow her to appreciate him from a different angle. We'll see. Enjoy the show Rider.

our show is sept 11, when is yours? it's in probably the best venue here in atlanta. incidently, my wife recently told me she's a huge fan of patterson hood. wtf!!!! news to me:)

"Comes Love" is playing when

a deranged, senile Uncle Junior shoots Tony in the gut. Before the bang, Junior yells "Who's down there?" to Tony in the kitchen. Tony, making Junior's dinner, yells back "It's Artie Shaw! Now come get your dinner!"

Somehow I don't think this will spoil it for me...but I loved the little app you used.

LouieB

our show is sept 11, when is yours? it's in probably the best venue here in atlanta. incidently, my wife recently told me she's a huge fan of patterson hood. wtf!!!! news to me:)

September 16th @ Pearl Street in Northampton, MA. As a side note, my wife can't stand Patterson Hood or DBT. She saw them during their Rock & Roll Means Well tour with The Hold Steady last winter and walked away unimpressed.