Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit 8/14/09

Great show at the Birchmere tonight. I'd never seen Jason before, having got into DBT after he left the band. He played just about everything I really wanted to hear, except John Henry and Dress Blues, but I can't complain about the set list. Their cover of Psycho Killer with Brownan Lollar on lead vocals was terrific, and they managed to work in the riff from Spiders (Kidsmoke) into a super-long jam version of Never Gonna Change to close out the show. I could have done without the chick who kept bumping into me, or the dude who puked a few feet from me, or the guy who flailed around like a lunatic during the encore, but that's for another thread I guess.

Setlist as far as I can remember (not in order):

Streetlights

Soldiers Get Strange

Goddamn Lonely Love

Chicago Promenade

Try

Grown

Seven Mile Island

Psycho Killer

Cigarettes and Wine

Danko/Manuel

Decoration Day

Outfit

The Blue

Hurricanes and Handgrenades

Never Gonna Change

Yes, excellent show last night. Got on the DBT wagon late as well, but enjoyed hearing some older stuff. Nice mix on the set for sure.

Goddamn Lonely Love was a highlight for me. And Never Gonna Change with the transition into Spiders was awesome!

The Bridge opened and thought they were good as well.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw the 400 Unit and Jason this past Wednesday. It was a rocking show. Talked to Jason for a bit before the show, and he was so nice, and called me "darlin" several times. I love southern dudes sometimes :wub especially when they're RSBF's. I wish I could remember the set list. I do know there were 3 covers, "Psycho Killer", "American Girl" and "When My Baby's Beside Me".

Pretty sure he played the following:

Outfit

Chicago Promenade

Soldiers Get Strange

Grown

Seven Mile Island

Try

Never Gonna Change

Streetlights

The Blue

Hurricanes and Hand Grenades

Danko/Manuel

Decoration Day

Cigarettes and Wine

It was a pretty epic show. Came on right at a little before 11, finished up at 1:15am. My ears rung for most of the next day.

Cool, I like that he is doing "when my baby's beside me" in tribute to Alex Chilton. Is he still playing "Kidsmoke" in the middle of "Never gonna change"?

No, I was really hoping that he would though. I mentioned how cool I thought it was that he did that when I talked to him. He was tickled that I knew they even did that. :)

Some of my favorite pictures from the night

25715_387169399120_500249120_3637432_440111_n.jpg

25715_387169704120_500249120_3637437_8276869_n.jpg

25715_387166519120_500249120_3637380_3967542_n.jpg