Baseball Project/ Minus 5 Part Two

The day after the great Lake Arrowhead show, me & the kiddos (Alissa & Brennan) drove into L.A. to see the band again at The Troubadour, a club with a long hallowed rock history & terrific atmosphere.

On the drive in we were startled to see the beginnings of the Station Fire, which is now huge and raging over difficult terrain smack in the middle of several L.A. communities...10,000 homes have been ordered evacuated and two firefighters have died. It was big almost immediately, as you can see from the picture below, taken from the freeway.

dsc05075p.jpg

dsc05118c.jpg

Peter Buck & Scott McCaughey

dsc05129m.jpg

"Here's looking at you, kid(smoke)" Peter Buck

dsc05139g.jpg

Steve Wynn

dsc05143n.jpg

Steve Wynn & Linda Pitmon

They did two long sets, serving as their own opening act, and encouraging us to "stick around for the headliners!" (Them again :lol) We got a fabulous selection of material from The Baseball Project, The Minus 5, and Steve Wynn's solo & Dream Syndicate stuff. All of it wonderful. We also got a kickass version of Neil Young's "Revolution Blues". The audience's favorite singalong was of course a lustily-belted-out "Ted Fucking Williams". What a fantasic show! :cheers

Sweet...I am seeing the Minus 5 in 10 days! :dancing

Where? Wish I could be there! We got great recordings of both nights, Arrowhead and Troubadour, and listening to them just makes me realize that these great fun shows just whooshed by much too fast!

We also got a song from Scott's new Young Fresh Fellows album, "I Think This Is"..."Let the Good Times Crawl"...that is one terrific album! Scott "autographed" the cover painting of a headless, suit-and-tied torso for me: "Hey Donna, I lost me fookin' 'ead! Love, Davy Jones" :lol

Scott Mccaughey one of the last true Rock heroes

"Killingsworth"one of my fav records this year.Also found a Baseball Project EP the other day:

1. "America's Favorite Pastime" by Todd Snider - 3:11

2. "Harvey Haddix" by The Baseball Project - 4:24

3. "Go Pilots Go" by Young Fresh Fellows - 1:35

4. "April to October" by Reckless Kelly - 3:53

5. "Golden Sombrero" by The Baseball Project - 2:16

Still searching for "The Lowe Beats"stuff

I have that Lowe Beats around here somewhere. I'll take a look and see if I can find it. Thanks for sharing that terrific clip!

And I'm sure you mean "Go Blue Angels Go", right? I love that song! That whole YFF album is so fun. That sounds like a great EP!

Where? Wish I could be there! We got great recordings of both nights, Arrowhead and Troubadour, and listening to them just makes me realize that these great fun shows just whooshed by much too fast!

We also got a song from Scott's new Young Fresh Fellows album, "I Think This Is"..."Let the Good Times Crawl"...that is one terrific album! Scott "autographed" the cover painting of a headless, suit-and-tied torso for me: "Hey Donna, I lost me fookin' 'ead! Love, Davy Jones" :lol

Clark, NJ

Free music fest with They Might Be Giants, Minus 5, Pete Yorn, Gin Blossoms, Glenn Tillbrook, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and more..

http://www.ucmusicfest.com/

:dancing

Email your way

Thanks so much for sharing that EP! :cheekkiss Hot damn, that's a prize, I'll have to try and get myself the genuine article. I laughed out loud when "Go Pilots Go" began! :lol Now I'm wondering which set of lyrics came first, the "Pilots" ones or the "Blue Angels" ones. Too funny!

Clark, NJ

Free music fest with They Might Be Giants, Minus 5, Pete Yorn, Gin Blossoms, Glenn Tillbrook, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and more..

http://www.ucmusicfest.com/

:dancing

This festival looks terrific! Have a great time!

Sad that I will miss the music fest in NJ :ohwell (bridal shower for future sis in law)

But happy to see them at the Bowery Ballroom on the 23rd! :rock

For a bunch of guys who are thinning on top but thickening in the middle, they can sure rock. Seen them a bunch of time as M5 and with Robyn Hitchcock -- and am confident that the night will be rockin!

Last time, I told Peter Buck that I've had a crush on him since 1989. He was nonplussed, oh well -- guess I'm not his type. I just wish he'd cut his hair, hate the bob he's got.

Hey Donna, I'm making the 8 hour drive from Winnipeg to the Twin Cities this Thursday to see the Baseball Project/Minus 5/Steve Wynn show! This is one of my most anticipated shows this year (maybe ever!),and I'm really hoping this is a good venue to chat with the band. So excited!!

Great photos too!

Hey Donna, I'm making the 8 hour drive from Winnipeg to the Twin Cities this Thursday to see the Baseball Project/Minus 5/Steve Wynn show! This is one of my most anticipated shows this year (maybe ever!),and I'm really hoping this is a good venue to chat with the band. So excited!!

Great photos too!

Bink, you are going to have the most amazing and fun time! :cheers :dancing :rock :w00t The band has been very accessible so don't hesitate to get some chat time after the show! Also, we (My son Brennan & I) are in the process (at this very moment in fact) of uploading the Lake Arrowhead and Troubadour shows so that you can download. I'll post a link as soon as that finishes up.

Just noticed the show is posted on Dime, this should be good!! Not sure if I should have a preview listen before heading to Minneapolis. I'll post the show when I return.

Boy you're quick. I was just going to post that that was up, and give the link, but you beat me to it. Planning to up it to Archive.org too, but are having a glitch with the encoding...got a question in to the site. So that'll be up soon. We'll also be putting up the 8-29-09 Troubadour show. :thumbup

Lake Arrowhead show (Sets 1 and 2):

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=265748

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=265749

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the review and the nice pics donna.

and of course also for the recordings of the sets, the only way us euro fans can enjoy the shows.

• 2 weeks later...