Jason Molina/Songs: Ohia/Magnolia Electric Co. recommendations

So far all I have is:

Magnolia Electric Co. - What Comes After the Blues

Songs Ohia - Didn't it Rain

Songs Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co.

Where should i go next? I'm thinking let me go, let me go, let me go, or maybe Trials and Errors.

Any ideas? Thanks

So far all I have is:

Where should i go next? I'm thinking let me go, let me go, let me go, or maybe Trials and Errors.

Any ideas? Thanks

well, their best album is Nashville Moon which is part of the Sojourners Box set. it's the first 12 songs. have no idea why jason didn't release that instead of the hodgepodge fading trails. however, fading trails is okay. as far as songs ohia goes, their best album is the Lioness. molina's voice is listenable and it's just a nice dark, yet warm album. from there, ghost tropic. very very rewarding after several listens. what ever that means.

well, their best album is Nashville Moon which is part of the Sojourners Box set. it's the first 12 songs. have no idea why jason didn't release that instead of the hodgepodge fading trails. however, fading trails is okay. as far as songs ohia goes, their best album is the Lioness. molina's voice is listenable and it's just a nice dark, yet warm album. from there, ghost tropic. very very rewarding after several listens. what ever that means.

of course, i'm responding on a day when actually like molina more than the idea of him. this could change momentarily. i'm getting so much more reactionary about music as i get older:) Nashville Moon is a keeper. one of the best albums of the decade as far as i'm concerned.

I'm a big Molina fan.

Get the new record, Josephine and track down a copy of The Lioness. Nashville Moon is also really good, very country rock (if you couldn't tell by that title!). Two records you might not hear about are "Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma" (translates to You Appeared To Me As A Ghost), which is a live record but with mostly exclusive songs... as all as "The Black Ram", which was released with Nashville Moon but sounds a lot like a Songs: Ohia record, even though it was released under Magnolia Electric Co.

Once you absorb all that you're ready to graduate onto "Let Me Go, Let Me Go, Let Me Go" (one of my all time favorites, a must own) and Ghost Tropic.

Honestly, I think all the records from The Lioness onwards are, really, really good. My least favorite would be Pyramid Electric Co, but even then, it contains "Long Desert Train".

"Let Me Go" requires some patience but it's really worth it, I'd just recommend you get into some of the more accessible records first though!

I'm a big Molina fan.

Get the new record, Josephine and track down a copy of The Lioness. Nashville Moon is also really good, very country rock (if you couldn't tell by that title!). Two records you might not hear about are "Mi Sei Apparso Come Un Fantasma" (translates to You Appeared To Me As A Ghost), which is a live record but with mostly exclusive songs... as all as "The Black Ram", which was released with Nashville Moon but sounds a lot like a Songs: Ohia record, even though it was released under Magnolia Electric Co.

Once you absorb all that you're ready to graduate onto "Let Me Go, Let Me Go, Let Me Go" (one of my all time favorites, a must own) and Ghost Tropic.

Honestly, I think all the records from The Lioness onwards are, really, really good. My least favorite would be Pyramid Electric Co, but even then, it contains "Long Desert Train".

"Let Me Go" requires some patience but it's really worth it, I'd just recommend you get into some of the more accessible records first though!

im surprised you like Let me go more than pyramid. both are really acquired tasts, but let me go is so so bleak!

im surprised you like Let me go more than pyramid. both are really acquired tasts, but let me go is so so bleak!

Maybe I'm biased. You know how sometimes a record just speaks to you? That's how Let Me Go is with me. Now that I'm super depressed or anything!!

So far all I have is:

Any ideas? Thanks

Based on what you already have, I'd go with either:

Trials and Errors

Josephine

Sojourner

I was pretty much obsessed by him in late 90s/early 2000's and personally think the earlier Songs:Ohia stuff is far superior to any of the Magnolia stuff he has done in last 5 years or so, though agree that Let Me Go is one of his best though ,simply incredible, I much prefer him stripped down than in the dull Magnolia rock arrangements.

I'd reccomend Access & Ace as a good one, some amazing songs on there and obviously Didn't It Rain & Ghostropic are flawless.

Make sure you have the Magnolia Electric Co bonus disc which came with some copies and has him doing whole album solo and is really special!

He has some great low key releases like the tour CD Protecction Spells and The Ghost (if you think Let Me Go is bleak,check out The Ghost!!), plus numerous 7" tracks which are well worth getting, I compiled a 2cd comp of them all a number of years ago.

I was pretty much obsessed by him in late 90s/early 2000's and personally think the earlier Songs:Ohia stuff is far superior to any of the Magnolia stuff he has done in last 5 years or so, though agree that Let Me Go is one of his best though ,simply incredible, I much prefer him stripped down than in the dull Magnolia rock arrangements.

I'd reccomend Access & Ace as a good one, some amazing songs on there and obviously Didn't It Rain & Ghostropic are flawless.

Make sure you have the Magnolia Electric Co bonus disc which came with some copies and has him doing whole album solo and is really special!

He has some great low key releases like the tour CD Protecction Spells and The Ghost (if you think Let Me Go is bleak,check out The Ghost!!), plus numerous 7" tracks which are well worth getting, I compiled a 2cd comp of them all a number of years ago.

here's a great track from Access & Ace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhbQ5gssqOo

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

anyone know what's up with jason molina? i guess he's been sick, but has several albums in the can. i miss that dude. for several years i was seeing twice a year. ohwell.gif

Just came across this... http://secretlycanad...s-jason-molina/

Where Is Jason Molina?

Posted: September 19th, 2011 by Theodora

Many of you have inquired as to Jason’s whereabouts and well-being since he canceled his tours with Will Johnson in 2009. Over the last two years Jason has been in and out of rehab facilities and hospitals in England, Chicago, Indianapolis, and New Orleans. It has been a very trying time for Jason, his friends, and his family. Although no one can be sure what the future holds, we feel very encouraged by the recent steps Jason has taken on the road towards becoming healthy and productive once again. Unfortunately, because he has no medical insurance, he has accrued substantial medical bills. We are asking all friends of Jason’s music to come together with a showing of financial support for him.

Please consider a contribution to his medical fund (via Paypal). Feel free to forward this to any and all appropriate parties. We are hoping to raise whatever funds we possibly can for Jason. He is currently working on a farm in West Virginia raising goats and chickens for the next year or so, and is looking forward to making great music again. Please also show your support and well wishes by sending letters and postcards to:

Jason Molina

P.O. Box 423

Beaver, WV 25813

If you do not wish to use Paypal, please make donations out to Ashley Lawson at the same address.

With our sincere thanks,

The Molina Family

Yeah, it does sound rehab-ish, perhaps even breakdown-ish. Hate to speculate, but this comment on that blog has me a little puzzled:

I am Jason’s Aunt and had the pleasure of seeing him on Saturday Sept17, he is doing wonderful..but will be unable to receive mail personally yet from his fans.. Only family for awhile..Please stand behind Jason as he is a wonderful singer and will be doing what he likes best soon.

Seems like he's in recovery of some sort (but physically ok, since he's working on a farm) and hiding / being protected from the outside world.

• 8 months later...

Thought some people maybe interested:

From his website

a note from jason

Dear friends and family.

It has been a long hospital year. You all have done so much and given so much to further my cause on this planet that I feel compelled to give you a little note. The response towards my medical fund and other support has been better than I could have ever imagined. I spent my time on the farm which was more like the opposite of a tour of duty, but it was good in its way. I have been moved around quite a bit too, Chicago, England, Indiana, West Virginia and back and forth to each. For the time being I am doing well, still in recovery and still in treatment until probably the summer does its thing. I’ve been writing a lot of music and eagerly anticipate the new 10” with Will Schaff’s book, word is that end of May we might finally get them. It is slow going, but it is going. I did write about 500 letters to many of you who sent me good wishes and more, oddly the facility I was in decided to keep them all instead of sending them. I’ll start re-collecting post box information when I am in a place for any length of time. Treatment is good, getting to deal with a lot of things that even the music didn’t want to. I have not given up because you, my friends have not given up on me. I do still need your support however that takes shape, good vibes are worth more than you might think. Finally, there are actually some musical projects on the distant radar screen, but for those who understand, I am taking this in much smaller steps than I’m used to. Keep the lamps trimmed and burning!

JM

5 May 2012

Indianapolis