Interesting that nobody has noted the today's date

It changed everything. It was eight years ago.

Oversight? Disinterest?

I will never forget sitting in my office and screaming at the radio "STOP IT!". Seeing the shots of the planes crashing, the burning towers, the jumpers, the towers coming down...

Damn.

Everything changed. We actually acted like everything had changed for about three weeks. Then we seemingly forgot.

I won't forget.

People have widely varied personal responses to today's date, and expressing them on a message board is not always the best way of dealing with those feelings. In fact, reading about other people's feelings on a message board isn't always a great way of dealing, either.

I think the lack of comment today isn't about oversight, disinterest, or a memory lapse.

People have widely varied personal responses to today's date, and expressing them on a message board is not always the best way of dealing with those feelings. In fact, reading about other people's feelings on a message board isn't always a great way of dealing, either.

I think the lack of comment today isn't about oversight, disinterest, or a memory lapse.

I desperately hope you're right.

But somehow we manage to comment on any other subject (important, inane, sublime, ridiculous, venal, hopeful, stupid) that comes in the head of any poster here.

But I will take your subtext critique under advisement.

Close it if you like.

No subtext/critique intended. You, and anyone else who's interested, are more than welcome to talk about any subject you want (within reason and within civil bounds, of course... I am a moderator, after all!).

I'm just saying that there might be good reason for some people to not want to talk about this here. Don't assume the worst of us. :cheekkiss

I had a couple of thoughts about it this morning on the way to court. one of them was a realization that it may not be the best day to be in a giant courthouse, which I eventually dismissed on the theory that living in fear is worthless and a waste of energy. the next one was a memory of the kindness that people seemed to show one another in the days and weeks following the event, which has disappeared entirely. I saw a moving scene on the way downtown of a circle of about 6 people in apparent memorial. very touching.

Spent all day talking about it with 12-year-olds. They were 4 at the time. One of my students said her dad was on the other side of the Pentagon when the plane crashed. I sometimes think I should chuck out my social studies curriculum and just teach history backwards from whatever is going on in the world today. Trace the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan back through the discovery of oil in the Mideast, the Arab/Israeli conflict, and even back to the Crusades.

The image that is permanently seared into my brain isn't the planes hitting the towers, it's those people jumping out of the towers. Easily the most horrifying thing I've ever had the misfortune to see live.

The History Channel has been showing a magnificent program called 102 Minutes That Changed America. It is a compilation of video and audio recordings in time sequence taken by people in the City. No Commentary, No Commercials...the most moving program I have ever seen.

I'll close the thread now.

It appears we really aren't ready to talk about this day...even 8 years later.