Interesting that no has mentioned the date revisited

9/11's at that awkward age. It no longer offers the average American with the stew-in-it emotional purge it once supplied, and has yet to reach a marketable 'big number' anniversary like the 10th.

9/11 is kind of like Oliver in The Brady Bunch right now.

Guest Speed Racer

Do we have the same mother? Jeezus, you've described mine to a T.

That could explain why our cats look so similar.

we really aren't a community, are we?

You and I? Probably not. Seems a bit soon for that.

Last year on 9/11 my nephew was shot to death in eastern Afghanistan. The void in my family, especially in my sister's life is something I can't even translate into words. For my family 9/11 cannot be avoided. It's there and always will be.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even comprehend what your family must have gone through this past year.

This is the first year I didn't think anything of it being Sept. 11 and didn't feel upset or out of place. I only realized what day it was when I saw someone post something on Facebook. I call that healing and wonder at what point we find the mourning process complete. Yes it is different for everyone, but maybe the silence on the board means that healing process has found its way through the community for most and we don't feel the need to lament it anymore. [NOTE: I was next door to the whitehouse when everything happened and watched the pentagon burn while trying to figure out how to get out of DC]

I recently read Dave Cullen's book about Columbine. Patrick Ireland was the kid who flung himself out of the window of the school after having been shot in the head, spent several years re-learning how to walk and will be on anti-seizure medication for the rest of his life. He told the author that several years after, he received an e-mail from a friend one morning, asking him how he was doing and was he OK "today", and didn't realize until later, when he was dating a document at work, that it was the anniversary. He was glad about that, he didn't want that date to be the defining moment of his entire life.

I didn't expect chest beating (which you are really adept at)...I came looking for a shared collective reflection and found nothing.

So yeah, I was an ass about it.

We find so many ways to pull ourselves apart. But reflection and sharing in this online community should not have been out of place. We need a way to bring ourselves together.

So, instead of reflections of the tragedy, you guys have been spending your time castigating me for calling out the board collectively. Easier to scold a noted internet clown and curmudgeon than reflect.

So, I won't make any comments or reflections on March 20 or April 20.

Yeah...

But all that being said...we really aren't a community, are we?

As I said previously, you can comment or reflect on anything you want on this board, as long as the intent is civil. But try to understand, it's easy to come off as sounding like you're challenging people to agree or disagree with you, especially on such an emotional issue. There have indeed been 9/11 threads in the past, and occasionally, those threads have gone off the rails, in typical VC fashion. Would another thread like that have made anyone feel any better, or fostered any greater sense of community?

I think lots of folks are just trying to be careful on this subject. Well-meant posts can sometimes hurt people in ways that we never meant to.

Edited to add: it's certainly not lock-worthy (yet), but I also question the necessity of this thread. Again, anyone who cares to do so can comment, but I'd like to see a little more restraint on all sides, here.

My thoughts on 9/11:

I did not lose anyone in this tragedy, but live close enough that I used to be able to see the towers from one block from where I live. I went up there on that day 8 years ago and watched the billowing smoke rising from where the towers used to be. I frantically called a friend on that day 8 years ago....a friend who worked in one of the towers and had the good fortune to wake up late that day.

I've thought about that day every time I take that particular PATH train into NY and come up into that godawful pit.

I have a friend who lives very far away from here, and has wanted to discuss various conspiracy theories about the attack with me over the years, and I always shut him down.

I have never really been able to talk about 9/11, let alone reminisce about it on the date. Although I will never forget that date.

This was the first year that I felt I could deal with it by watching whatever tributes they put on the news, even if it included video of the event, which I have been unable to watch for 8 years. But life got in the way of my watching any news tributes that day, and so what.

I really don't need to watch airplanes crashing into buildings, towers falling, and people talking about it.

I will never forget that day.

It does me no good to discuss it.

My thoughts on 9/11:

I did not lose anyone in this tragedy, but live close enough that I used to be able to see the towers from one block from where I live. I went up there on that day 8 years ago and watched the billowing smoke rising from where the towers used to be. I frantically called a friend on that day 8 years ago....a friend who worked in one of the towers and had the good fortune to wake up late that day.

I've thought about that day every time I take that particular PATH train into NY and come up into that godawful pit.

I have a friend who lives very far away from here, and has wanted to discuss various conspiracy theories about the attack with me over the years, and I always shut him down.

I have never really been able to talk about 9/11, let alone reminisce about it on the date. Although I will never forget that date.

This was the first year that I felt I could deal with it by watching whatever tributes they put on the news, even if it included video of the event, which I have been unable to watch for 8 years. But life got in the way of my watching any news tributes that day, and so what.

I really don't need to watch airplanes crashing into buildings, towers falling, and people talking about it.

I will never forget that day.

It does me no good to discuss it.

Then let this damn thread die...sorry I brought it up in the first place.