A bit early to be talking about it, perhaps, but I wanted a place to post this:

Friday, September 25, 2009

Pearl apologizes for off-the-cuff joke

ESPN.com news services

Tennessee men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl is apologizing for an off-the-cuff joke he made about a rural area of the state at a charity fundraiser Thursday, calling it "inappropriate."

Pearl, speaking without notes, was addressing Tennessee Valley Authority employees about the challenges he and his staff face in getting players from diverse backgrounds to play as a team.

"I've got a tough job. I've got to put these guys from different worlds together, right?' Pearl said. "I've got guys from Chicago, Detroit ... I'm talking about the 'hood! And I've got guys from Grainger County, where they wear the hood.''

Later Thursday, Pearl issued an apology for the remark, which came in front of television cameras and was aired by WBIR-TV of Knoxville.

"This morning while speaking at a private kick-off event for a great organization that benefits many local charities, I made a statement in jest to describe the diverse group our staff recruits year-in and year-out, " Pearl said.

"Unfortunately while I was trying to excite the crowd and encourage employees to give, I made an inappropriate joke. I certainly did not intend to offend anyone and I apologize to everyone, especially the people of Grainger County.

"In no way am I trying to justify what I said, but I'm disappointed that the focus has been placed on me rather than the charities I was there to help. My only hope is that the visibility of this mistake will encourage those who can to give to those in need during these difficult times.''

But Doug McBee, a Grainger County resident and the father of Tennessee freshman guard Skylar McBee, said Pearl should not be misunderstood, according to The (Nashville) Tennessean.

"There's no hard feelings at all,'' Doug McBee said, according to The Tennessean. "We are country up here, but we're not prejudice. It was a joke, and that's how I took it.''

According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau Web site, the population of Grainger County, which is northeast of Knoxville in Eastern Tennessee, is 98 percent white. The county's population is 22,333, according to recent census estimates.

Tennessee announced in April that it had renegotiated a six-year contract with Pearl.

• 1 month later...

John Wall!

I hate to admit this but I am looking forward to tonight's MSU-Gonzaga match-up. The one great thing about NCAA hoops is that teams have an incentive to schedule compelling out-of-conference games. This should be a good one.

GO BLUE!!!! BEAT tOSU!!!!(after all, it is still football season)

That Kentucky game last night was about as exciting as an early season game as your likely to see. It wasn't well played in spurts and the refs muted their whistles in several instances, but the 18 point comeback, the lights out 3point shooting of Miami (OH.), the crowd and that ending was just ridiculously exciting. I'm still not so sure about all of these freshman and I see impending losses to UNC and UCONN on the horizon, but I love the emotion they played with, especially Wall. I mean that was his first game and he was beating his chest and carrying on like it was the Final 4. I dig it.

Long way to go there Sooie, it's only November. I'll think about you this Saturday when Lucero plays Louisville.

• 2 weeks later...

John Wall!

Kentucky still is nowhere near what they should (will?) be, but it's been an impressive week with big, big wins over North Carolina and now UCONN. They play erratic and inconsistent, especially when they have a sizable lead, but they also play tough down the stretch and John Wall very well may have the best season in UK history this year. He had 25 points in probably 26-28 minutes tonight and at the Garden to boot. Another big road game vs Indiana this Saturday. Going for 10-0. Keep it up Cats!

• 7 months later...