Wilco - A Prairie Home Companion 10/3/09

One By One

Deeper Down

You Never Know

Passenger Side

The first two were early in the show, the last two near the conclusion of the show. (Patti Loveless's four songs were divided evenly by the intermission.)

After listening to APHC for a long time, seeing the show live was a real treat. Keillor is more charismatic in person than I had imagined, and he's surrounded by a wide variety of talented people. I had a great view of the stage so was able to enjoy watching the "sound effects guy" work his magic.

Keillor spent a little time talking to Jeff before One By One and referenced the previous night's show at Wilkins a few times. He said he had received "reports" that there were a lot males, plaid, and work books at the show. (I wasn't able to make it into town in time for the Wilkins show, but it sounded like a pretty accurate description.) He had also heard that audience members know all the lyrics to all the songs--perhaps even better than Jeff himself--and then asked Jeff how that made him feel. Jeff: "It's very disconcerting."

The band sounded great, and the song choices were nice for the setting. I enjoyed hearing and seeing Deeper Down where Nels, Jeff, and Glenn were closer together so it was easier to see everything that's going on during the song. I was also really hoping they'd debut Country Disappeared, but Passenger Side was a nice surprise.

After listening to APHC for a long time, seeing the show live was a real treat. Keillor is more charismatic in person than I had imagined, and he's surrounded by a wide variety of talented people. I had a great view of the stage so was able to enjoy watching the "sound effects guy" work his magic.

Yeah, watching that guy work his magic was one of the best parts of the show for me! It was just really cool seeing how he created all the different sound effects. Glenn was chatting with him afterward, maybe learning a few tricks of the trade. :ninja

And although I couldn't see it all that well, I love that Nels "sat in" with the house band on "Hound Dog," which led into Wilco's second mini-set. His versatility never ceases to amaze. :thumbup

And although I couldn't see it all that well, I love that Nels "sat in" with the house band on "Hound Dog," which led into Wilco's second mini-set. His versatility never ceases to amaze. :thumbup

Agreed, that was great! I loved the back and forth between Nels and the other guitar player (Pat Donohue?)

I didn't grow up listening to PHC, but I did grow up in Wisconsin. Close enough. It was so interesting to see the show unfold live. I had no idea that Keillor doesn't read the Lake Wobegone tales - that's all done with no script. Thanks again to Rob for the seat swap.

Grapes of poop!

I had no idea that Keillor doesn't read the Lake Wobegone tales - that's all done with no script. Thanks again to Rob for the seat swap.

Oh yeah! I had wanted to mention that as well. I pictured the LW stuff to be much more casual--or at least less dramatic. It was great. It felt like he was looking at us the whole time. Or did it? :brow

Grapes of poop!

:yay